Is this a good reason to break up or am I being dramatic?

I've been with my boyfriend for a year and a half. It's the healthiest relationship I've ever been in and there is a lot of trust and love there. And it's the best sex I've ever had. For the most part, he is good to me, but there are times when he will sort of talk down to me like I'm a child.. For instance, if I leave the bedroom door open when I go to another room he will say something like, "I don't know how you do it at home, but we don't leave doors open in this apartment" or one time I sat on the arm of his couch, which has been tattered and worn as long as I've known him, and he will say something like, "is that how we sit on a couch?" Now, I know it doesn't sound so bad but I've heard him say stuff like this to his DOG! He does this A LOT.

He also has anger problems and while he has never hurt me physically, he will yell and swear at me for the stupidest things. And it's really his anger toward other people that gets to me. He berates and belittles sales people and puts me in awkward situations when doing so.

He also has really bad road rage and has put me in dangerous situations as a result. He was once so enraged that he caused us to get into an accident (I was in a really bad one myself prior to this and he knew I was still scared to be in the car) INTENTIONALLY by going from the turn lane and cutting the guy off. He then proceeded to almost assault the guy and told me to shut up when I started crying. To this day he says the accident wasn't his fault.

He also implies that I'm stupid a lot, but I think you get the picture.

I've talked to him many times but he just hadn't changed.

Am I being over dramatic or is it right to be a little scared?

I don't know what to do. Any advice is welcome.
We talked and are keeping our distance. He was receptive and understanding, but I'm not going to just say it's okay and that we can move on. As for right now, we're communicating but I do not plan to see him for a while.

Maybe he'll see the bigger picture, maybe not. I've got too much going for me to just take it. I deserve better than that. Thanks everyone :)

79

Most Helpful Guy

• this guy sounds like a major incident waiting to happen. dump him. The way he talks down to you is insulting but could be fixed but the other stuff shows a general anger and lack of respect for people (you included).

Most times when I see questions about breaking up, I say you should try to talk to himI

but I think in this case. you need to end it, probably in a public or semi-public place (due to his anger issues) and then break off contact with him...

but put it in perspective, if a girlfriend of yours told you what you said here what would your advice to her be?

• I would definitely tell her that she doesn't deserve to be treated that way and to move on. Thank you. Sometimes it's hard to follow your own advice, yeah?

• it definitely is. and in hindsight you'll probably look back one day and think wtf? (i've done it myself) but when you're in it, it can be really really hard to see and think clearly and rationally

• @update. It seems clear that you both have strong feeligns for each other so I wouldn't rule out entirely reconciliation but if I were you I'd want him to very specifically address his anger and condescending personality issues