How to break up with someone while leaving future possibility of getting back together?

I'm with an awesome guy, just the timing is horrendous. I'd like to be with him later on when things are different.

He's husband material but I'm not at the "walking the line" part of life yet and he is.

How do I end it with him so there's still a chance for the future (knowing perfectly well I can't expect it since this is my choice and he might be hurt)

I'll reconsider it since you're all saying the same thing...
I think a lot of you are jumping to conclusions. I don't not want to be with this guy because I want to date around. Being 5 years older than me he's in a different part of life than me. I'm still figuring out how I'm going to educate myself where as he's got a 5 year plan including finishing his school with no plans for a break for 3 years (which occupies ALL OF HIS TIME leaving me ~8 hours a week) and then when that's done he wants to get married and have kids. I don't know if I'll even
be finished school in 5 years OR if I want kids.

I wasn't asking how to "have my cake and eat it too" rather, how do I end thing nicely so he doesn't hate me so I still had a small potential of a chance if things worked out in the future.

37

Most Helpful Guy

• Just simply break it off with him . He is not what you want right now.. leave the future for the future... I think you are worried because you think that you won't get a guy like this in the future.. but...it is just your insecurity.. people meet people all the time and in all ages . Focus on the near to intermediate future at max. Don't feel bad about breaking it off.. this is what you want and you want to be faithful. I don't agree with people down there telling you that you will regret it bla bla... emotions can't be controlled. If you are not attracted now then it is wrong to be with him now. It is like someone joining Med school just because he got high grades and not because he likes to be a doctor. Right now you don't want that type of commitment. It is your life and your feelings. At the same time.. what he does with his life is non of your business. You shouldn't even think about it. You are not responsible for his happiness. I don't think you should reconsider at all!

If you want him to still respect you.. then tell him that you ''are not at this stage in life where you can offer him this commitment.'' Don't give him further explanations. Don't tell him I am gonna sleep with other guys bla bla even if he gets insecure and ask you this.. simply the sentence above and that at the moment you don't see it working out. If he is a man with senses he will take the rejection and move on. If he isn't then you dodged a bullet.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I saw this and Loled...I joined med school because I got high grades and didn't really want to be a doctor...I dropped out, lol

• I agree 100%. When you're in it, you are blind sighted by how good you have it that you ignore intuition and stick with it in fears of ruining something in the future. Who cares, just focus on what you want and let the pieces fall where they may. Be kind to him and yourself, and if you cross paths again, who knows...

• Lol the next time they cross passes OP will be with no one and her soon-to-be ex will be married to another girl ... that's what OP is losing.

OP if you're scared of committing, tell him. But also explain other reasons.

How long were you together for?