Is he possibly coming back around again?

My boyfriend asked me if we could be friends again about a month ago because he was stressed in college and needed to study more and not fail, and he felt bad because he didn't have as much time for me as he used to have. By the end of the night, he told me there wasn't any other girls, his feelings hasn't changed for me, he said we could spend time together on holidays if I wanted, he promised to retake me on a date over the summer, and when I was about to leave, I told him I hoped he came back and he said he probably would.

I've been giving him his space since then, only texting him good morning and good night, and sending occassional messages to his iPod. He's fine with them, and told me the messages help him and make him smile. Lately we've been talking a lot more than we have, and he seems to care still, because of some things he's said. He also said I will probably hear his feelings once his stresses go away. Do you think he's coming back around and we might get back together again?
We talked last night. He asked me if we had broken up and I told him the truth (that I didn't really know because it was never clear and I assumed it was a break) and asked what he wanted us to be. He replied with saying he doesn't know and he wants to be friends for a while. Based on our conversation, he just doesn't know how he feels and I think it's because of how stressed he is in college because he said he thinks it's impossible. We want to try to figure things out though.

11