POLL: why do men come back?

I've had Proper ex bfs, dates and flings all come back. Sometimes they get in touch weeks after the breakup, sometimes months. But 2/3 do. I just don't understand why? I'm now 27, I've been saying since I was 19. So it's over that period of time. I used to put it down to a man only truly appreciating me after he compares me to the next girl, but then there were some guys who didn't have a girlfriend after. Thoughts?

For the record - I never went back. To me, once done it's done.
  • For Sex/Affection
  • They're now ready for more - maybe weren't before
  • They realize how great you are through loss
    Vote C
  • Familiar ground - safety
    Vote D
I don't mean to sound harsh by "when it's done it's done", I suppose I haven't felt (in my heart) that I want to try again. Not yet anyway. Maybe that's a better way of saying it.

78

Most Helpful Guy

• Some men will probably come back for sex. Usually I don't do that. I will come back either wanting to get back together or as a friend. But it all depends on the circumstances of the breakup whether mutual or not. If there was no attraction, that's how it is and I might come back trying to be friends to justify the time spent together and Invested. If the breakup was an emotional reaction or disagreement, then in that case Id might want to try again because you might step back and realize that the good did in fact outweigh the bad and the breakup might have been a mistake. And while some people just don't agree, a lot of times people don't know how to compromise and work things out in relationships. Everytime I've been in a relationship with someone, I do everything to make an effort to keep the relationship and probably act in the most selfless ways. Everyone I've dated has taken the "my way or the highway " approach. Then, at the first sign of trouble or disagreement want to break up because they're too lazy to make the slightest effort to compromise and resolve a dissagreement. Then you either have to be a pushover to solve the situation and to avoid argument or be an "asshole" and potentially ruin the relationship. But as I've grown older and wiser, I realize that I don't want to be with these self-centered people anyhow. Unfortunately, so many people are and I'm not. So, I have a tendency to get walked over when trying to do good for someone else and it pisses me off. So, as far as I'm concerned , good riddence to these people. Relationships should be a mutual thing not all me or all them or otherwise a power struggle between the guy and girl. A power struggle is not what love or even friendship is about.