What is a good legitimate reason to break up and why?

I have realized over the years that people break up over a lot of things that could be fixed through better communication. Other times people break up while searching for some obscure idea of perfection. Other times people break up over minuscule things just to avoid being in the relationship any longer for whatever reason. So I just wanted to know what others felt was a good legitimate reason to break up and why.

44

Most Helpful Girl

• most ligitimate reason that I've had was a mutual break up some years ago , where my then (and again now ) boyfriend and I realized that we had been together for all of the years that had defined who we are as individuals, all through high school and our first year of university, while we wanted to be together we were both afraid that we were together because we just didn't know how to be alone, we could not describe our selves with out saying "so-and-sos partner". Which is bad for personal growth. As we had always seen us as a forever thing we wanted to make sure we wanted to be together and we had to do it then before things go to serious and a break-up would require paperwork and possible custody battles. It was what we needed, and that break up just lead to us getting back together with a new strength knowing that this is what we want and that there is no other path that we want to take.

• I really like this. My current girlfriend and I went through a similar experience except we didn't discuss it before hand. So I broke up with her first for the reason you described above and regretted it then she broke up with me for the same reason and regretted it. Now were back together and things are looking good