I'm officially his girlfriend. Now what?

This month he asked if we were official (he had invited me to meet his parents and wanted to present me as "his girlfriend"). We are 21 and go to the same university. He texts me every other day and sometimes I'll text him first, but usually he contacts me and asks to see me. So, in all cases, I'm assuming he's "into me". He's very intelligent, funny and we like the same things.

Now that I'm his girlfriend, I really don't want to lose him. However, in my last relationship, I kind of pursued my ex (I know... ah well) and I wrote off a lot of bad behavior. I excused lapses in communication (never called me) and contacted him all the time. I'd tell him I missed him and he'd say the same but then never ask to see me. Needless to say, it didn't work out.

With this guy, I'm making a conscious effort to be attentive and understanding. If he feels self-conscious, I try to compliment him. I do my best to be affectionate. But am I not doing enough? Should I be texting/calling him everyday or let him come to me? I'm afraid of seeming "cold". My friends say to "Let him contact/initiate seeing me" and that's what I've been doing. It seems to be working. He texts me "every other" day and asks to see me during the week.

Can somebody please give me to the protocol for being a girlfriend to set the groundwork for a good relationship? Thanks! :)

Men: How do you expect a new girlfriend to behave?

Women: What do you go out of your way to do in a new relationship?

11