I saw my girlfriend shaking her young cousin, do I break up?

Ever since I saw her doing that in anger (the child is 4 years old), I've been seeing her in a different way.

She was shaking the kid and calling him stupid and to shut the hell up, along with shaking him and pulling his hair. Told her to stop or else I would report her. She stopped but I can't get that image out of my mind, that anger she was displaying.

Before this event happen, I though she was the girl I was glad to present to my family, smart and the one I would consider marriage in the future. Now I don't know. She claims to be very sorry and that nothing like that would happen again.

I don't even believe in spanking a kid, much less shaking one. Now I'm thinking about that poor cousin. He looked terrified and was crying. I did tried to comfort him afterward and he felt better.
This is the first time I've ever seen her with this type of rage and can't get that out of mind.
I hate people that abuse children and I was shocking to see her doing that.

75

Most Helpful Girl

• If I were you I'd ask the child whether she has ever been rough or violent to him before, and also keep an eye out for other violent behavior from her in the future.

If she really has never done anything like that before, then it could be that she was just frustrated with the child, especially if he/she has been really difficult. Even good people can lose control sometimes and do things they normally would never do. But if the behavior is repeated, then it would be clear that there's a problem. Either she doesn't think it's wrong to get rough on a child, or she loses control very easily. Both dangerous.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thank you for your perspective. When I see the child again, I'm going to ask him. Though good people can react in anger, it makes me think what if I wasn't there. She only stopped as soon as I told her I would report it if she didn't.