What is the statute of limitations on boyfriends trying to hook up with old girlfriends?

I've been dating a man for almost 4 years. He has been very kind and loving and is a wonderful person. We have our issues, and over the last year I have discovered a dating site account and emails to and from his last girlfriend. In the emails he sent, he was trying to meet up with her for a date at a very fancy restaurant, something I very rarely get from him. He also claimed he still had feelings for her, and there were emails spanning the duration of our relationship. I don't believe she ever met with him, and these emails were from a year ago. He also sent her an email about two months ago telling her about the loss of his father, and in that email he stated that they had not seen one another for 3 years. Yes, I was the bad girlfriend who looked at his emails. I get what that means, and I admit it was wrong. I wish I had not seen them, but I did and had reason to wonder given a recent break up between us over the dating site problem. He claims he has not been with or seen or talked to or tried to talk to anyone in a romantic manner during our 3+ years together, but I have seen the emails sent to this ex-girlfriend and know this is not the case. There has been, as far as I can tell, no contact like that for a year. So...do I let this go or not? It was a year ago, and we are better and stronger than ever since then. I really don't know what to do. I did, in a moment of weakness, contact this other woman in a friendly manner, asking her if there had been anything between them. Mostly, I wanted to let her know that I am intimate with this person, and if she is as well, I thought she should know about me. Ack. What do I do? I am educated and not a fool, but I feel like I am behaving as such and being treated as such.

11