Ways to stop ruminating about an Ex.

It's been six months since I broke up with a boyfriend of mine. I've turned down a couple guys because I couldn't stop thinking about him. I'll break down and contact him after a couple months of not talkingand I always sound pathetic. I have thought about him everyday. I can't quite understand why I can't let him go. Why time isn't creating a distance between him and I. I didn't want to break up with him but I needed to. If I got back together with him I'd be happy on the service but never fully because our standards are too different. I know this. I understand this. But can't stop longing for him. I've been trying a tactic where I acknowledge I'm thinking about him, then say "that's in the past" and ,ove on. That's helped. Are thee any other suggestions for me? A new boyfriend will not help me I know.

34

Most Helpful Guy

• "If I got back together with him I'd be happy on the service but never fully because our standards are too different."

Isn’t happiness enough?

If you really want to get over him or find out why you are feeling this way, strange as it sounds you have to be on good terms with him, I assume you aren't today since you are not talking.

If you keep some form of contact with him you can also stop speculating and stop putting him and the relationship on a pedestal.

You then see all sides and have a better judgement on the situation and can make a better decision on whether your feelings for him are valid or not.

Either way its way better than to force your feelings out or “pretend” it’s over when it’s not.

There is a reason why you are thinking of him, I'd say find out why first before you decide anything else, unresolved issues is what makes us feel bad.

• We do keep in contact. We aren't on bad terms. I can't understand why I feel how I do is my greatest issue

• Ok, then it's obvious you still have feelings for him, why deny them? If he made you happy why aren't you with him?

All "tactics" fail at some point because you can't "get over" someone if you still look up to them and the reason why you can't look down on someone you loved is because you still love them.

But to really solve your issue you need to ask yourself what you REALLY want, let that answer reflect how you truly feel.