You can dish it but you can't take it? what are your thoughts

I'm just curious, and. I am aware I am stereotyping, why boys seem to be able to dish out insults and take the piss out of you, but when you do it to them, they get really hurt. My past 2 boyfriends have been like this. Whilst I can take a joke, my last ex would insult me constantly, when I said it hurt me a bit, he said I couldn't take a joke and that he didn't want to be with such a sap. So I manned up, stopped taking it all to heart and began doing the same back to him. To which his reaction was to get really moody, sometimes cry and stop talking to me.

How was it I had to just take it and he was allowed to get hurt? Do all boys do this or is it just some?

01