Why does he act like this if he doesn't want a relationship?

I dated my ex for about 7 months, and we broke up about two years ago. He is the one who dumped me, and he kind of broke my heart. We weren't friends after the break up, but we started talking this past summer. We hang out every couple weeks, and every time it gets physical. We don't have sex though, because I'm still a virgin. I know that he has sex with girls and I feel like its not very safe for me to do sexual stuff with him, so it doesn't go beyond kissing. I do spend the night every time we hang out though. He's told me that he doesn't want a relationship with anyone, which is also what he said when we broke up. However, he acts kind of romantic when we hang out like he will hold my hand when we go out or he'll kiss my forehead. He also cuddles with me a lot. Why does he act like this if he doesn't want a relationship?

11