Should I dump my boyfriend or hang on and hope he'll change?

I have a pretty great boyfriend: contacts me everyday, invites me to hang out with his friends/family, leaves weekends open for me and takes me out to eat at times. However, when we have fights, he's quick to break-up with me when things get too heated up, makes perverted comments of good-looking girls on screen when we watch movies and checks out girls in front of me. I've told him that I don't like those comments he makes and when he checks out girls in front of me, but he keeps on claiming he doesn't (when it looks so clear that he does). I think it's disrespectful. Don't know what to do if I should stay with him or break up. We've also been on and off for the last year and he's never said I love you to me. Wondering if maybe he's just waiting to see if things get better between us? Not sure. Thanks.

15

Most Helpful Guy

• he's quick to break-up:

the conversation with him should basically be that he can't use that as a tactic in an argument. It simply isn't fair or productive and if he is so quick to break up at an argument then the long term prognosis is not good

makes comments about girls on tv:

I'd be interested in some examples of comments...but it is bad form for a guy to make comments about girls in general when in a relationship and particularly if the partner has asked that they not do it. It's just poor form and a sign that he either doesn't really think about things you request or simply doesn't know how to filter his thoughts... either way a bad thing

checking out girls:

most guys do it but most guys are good about taking a glance and then moving on. Now I'm not sure if you are just overly sensitive or he is more of an ogler but it seems like regardless this another example of him not being particularly thoughtful or just not giving a d*mn.

my feeling is that if after a year of off/on status, conversations about what you would like to see happen and repetitive behavior that you need to ask yourself...

'is the relationship headed in a positive direction?'

if it's not then you have to make a decision about whether or not the issues you have can be addressed and fixed and or if you can live with the status quo