Breaking up vs Talking?

Me and my ex weren't doing too well for a while. We had a really good talk one day and things were looking up. I knew what was bothering her and was gonna try my best making up. I was away for the weekend but when I got back I had flowers and chocolate with me for her but when she came home she broke up with me.

It came as a huge shock to me. We were together for two years and we only had a serious talk about us twice and those were initiated by me because I didn't like how she didn't trust me completely. Of course I've also thought about breaking up but I didn't because we had something good going so I talked about it instead. We were even looking for a house to live in together before breaking up.

I feel like her breaking up like this is really unfair and lacks respect. On the other hand I know it's for the best. I know how she feels now and I can find someone who is more open about stuff bothering her.

I still don't really get why she didn't talk about things bothering her before... isn't that normal in a relationship? Talk and work out your problems instead of running away from them?

I have the feeling this will get back at her in the future. She's too closed off to people.

22

Most Helpful Girl

• It's better to have found out NOW how she really feels, then to have moved into together, lock, stock and barrel, and had the problems follow you. Everything in life happens for a reason, and apparently, sweetie, it was meant for you to get away for a weekend and when you did, "girlie poo" did some soul searching, giving her some TIME and SPACE to find out how she really felt and what she really wanted to do. Just because two people are together a long time, doesn't mean there are not going to be problems, and that it "can't happen to you." And it seems in that two years, things would have changed for the best. I'm sorry to see you were shot down with flowers and chocolates before you could even "make it up to her." I do think you both lacked communication, and it doesn't help to have a partner, I agree, who "is not more open about stuff bothering her." In essence, she probably WANTED to be frank with you about a lot of things, about what she was feeling and what she really wanted, but never had the nerve to do it. Perhaps when you went away, it gave her the time--and the courage--to finally say something. Maybe it seems "unfair", but she did give you the "respect" when she finally was able to be honest with you. Move on...She doesn't want a relationship anymore with you or anyone else..Sounds like, after two years, she just wants to "find herself". Be friends, and find someone who wants what you want----a real relationship with honesty and above all, communication. There is someone out there for you who will not only welcome flowers and chocolates, but "your way with words" as well. Good luck.

• Thanks, she doesn't want a relationship with anyone atm as you say. I've been doing some soul searching myself. I actually have some trust issues and stuff which I didn't see before so it's great to be able to work on that.

• Disagree that "it's better to have found out NOW how she really feels". Because it is clearly too late for them now.

If she had just communicated her feelings with him before breaking up, it could have been so more beneficial.

More girls (and guys) should realize this, that communication is VITAL. Even more so about difficult things.

• Thanks darkfoxjj. That's how I feel and I've told her a few times that she can talk with me. My actions gave her the idea she couldn't though. So it's indeed gone wrong because of misunderstanding and lack of experience (our first longer relationship) and communication.

I've asked her to come over for a talk and she didn't even hesitate to say yes. I want to talk because even though I'm not sure if I want to be friends, there are some things that need clarification on both sides to be fair.