Parents try to control relationships and life but I'm 22

I'm a 22 year old female commuting to college. I still have a year and a half of school left and have been thinking of moving out. Any time I mention moving out though they freak out, especially my mom. I tell her it's just something in me that I want since I am 22 and want to see the world. Now I know everyone says, it's not as easy as it looks...but I understand that. Here's the thing, my boyfriend wants me to move in with him. I would have to transfer colleges to do this. I'm not sure If I want to move in with him yet or not, I might just wait a little more. However, I think my mom is scared that I will move in with him. So she told my dad and when he came home from work they went on about how I have my priorities wrong, that I shouldn't even have a boyfriend while I'm in college. They said my first goal should be college and I understand that. That's why I'm waiting to see if I want to move in with him and transfer colleges. I'm also waiting to know him just a little better. The thing is is that I'm scared that once I do decide to move, transfer colleges, or make any other independent decision that they will convince me to change my mind. They have done this in the past and actually convinced me to break up with an old boyfriend and to live at home instead of going off to college like I wanted. That was 3/4 years ago. Should I continue to let my parents influence me or try to break away a little? I know they love and care for me but I think they are scared to let go of their first born.

14

Most Helpful Guy

• Stop letting them influence you. I think your assessment of their fear of letting go is spot on. You can have discussions with them about your decisions and ask for their input, but you sound a lot more reasonable than they do, so don't let them get to you too much. Don't buy too much into the whole "you shouldn't have a boyfriend while you're in college"-thing. It's bull. Saying you can't prioritize your studies while you're in a relationship is like saying you can't prioritize your job while you're in a relationship, which would mean that your parents shouldn't be together right now. They're just scared, and they're using standard arguments to hide from their fears.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE