How to get over a really bad break up?

I've had my heart broken over and over again and the last guy I dated was the last straw. I've given up on love and I became obsessed with my career and it's starting to scare my friends. I can't get over my ex and I've tried everything I could to try and get over him and it's been about forever since we broke up. I can't stop missing him and I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried going on dates but anytime I kiss someone else I think about him. This is hard for me to admit but I need help. How can I stop missing him?

33

Most Helpful Girl

• "Breaking up is hard to do," as the saying goes, and I am sure you have heard this old song yourself--and with it, the same ole "song and dance" of how everyone is telling you to forget this jerk, move on, we are so worried about you, and blah, blah, blah...I remember the longest guy who was my hardest to kick, my first love. We were 13. We were an item for three years, and at 16, I broke it off. It took me many years, many rebounds and tears, to try and forget this guy. When I finally had a chance to be with him one night before he tied the knot with another(I broke up with him because of my own personal reasons), my feelings for him--and in the bed--were not the same, and believe it or not, my closure finally had come. I could move on. You may never stop forgetting him completely, and for a long time, you may still miss him terribly because you have NOT yet met another to take his place, is why you are so obsessed with your career. That is a good thing, but not altogether, because you need to take a break sometimes, and at least go out with some friends, mingle, find yourself again, and who knows--maybe when you least expect it, someone even better will pop into your life one day, sweetie. Yes, you may need help, and as another ole saying goes:"God helps those who help themselves," and if you feel you need someone close to you, or even a counselor to speak with, find the time, and do it. You are obviously driving yourself mad with it, your poor heart is broken apart, and with all of this, and the "about forever" time it seems it has been for you to mend this, something tells me you are reaching out for someone to find all the answers. I 'm glad you came here. I know just how you feel...I do, believe me... Good luck,sweetie.