Move her to the inside of the sidewalk, do you guys do this to your partner?

So when your walking with a girl that your dating or in a relationship with, do you move her over so that she's walking on the inside of the sidewalk. Today I just came back from a little date, the guy was walking me to my train. As we're walking, he's doing this every time. I've honestly had this done to me twice, are you guys aware of this act of chivalry?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I do this with my fiance all the time. especially if the sidewalk is narrow. I'll either subtly sort of switch spots with her or physically guide her to the inner part of the walk so I'm closer to the street

I don't remember being taught this but I guess I probably was at some point

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• The very old tradition used to be to move her to the outside, street side. Reason being that the dishwater and clothes washing water used to be tossed out the front doors by the working women of the house into the street. These days the woman is moved to the inside, building side, to prevent water from being splashed on her by the passing cars.

Chivalry never dies.

2|0
    0|0
  • I do that to everyone out of habit, my grandfather told me that it is polite to do to ladies as it decreases the chance of them getting hit by a car or splashed by water.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've always done it instinctively. It's a compulsion. I can't walk on the inside comfortably if she's on the outside.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do it to all women regardless if I am dating them, just walking with a friend or if it's a relative. I don't think about it is just something I do out of habit.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• In our culture yes, we are taught to do this.

Man+woman same age, same status: man on the outside of the sidewalk

Adult+child: adult on the outside of the sidewalk.

0|0
    0|0
  • My ex used to do this to me all the time and I never understood why.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not a guy but I do this with my younger siblings to "protect" them.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes