So.. Who broke up with who?

My latest relationship ended.

I told him about a piercing I wanted.

He told me if I "disfigured" myself, he'd end it.

I went and got that piercing today.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• not sure if it matters but you ended it...in a way. Good thing to, sounds a bit controlling and a bit shallow on his part. What's with dudes freaking out over their chicks tattoo and piercings lately?

He gave you an ultimatum (which never ends well for the one giving it). If you believe it was OK for him to tell what you can or can't do on your body...he broke up with you.

Some of these responses seem to be motivated over the dislike of piercings.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 19

• You obviously didn't care enough about his feelings to respect what he wanted.

It was over before it began. Him for being childish, and you for being stubborn and unyielding.

3|5
    2|1
    • Technically he didn't respect her feelings or what she wanted either.

• Good for him for sticking to his principles. I can't stand all the piercing either.

I mean, if you aren't willing to give up a piercing for him, what future is there?

1|3
    4|1
    • Who says there even is a future?

America and North Korea could get into a nuke slinging contest tomorrow...

The Zombie Apocalypse could start at the end of the Olympics..

Live in the moment, live for today..

Yesterday is a memory

Today is real

Tomorrow is a hope

• What the actual phuck lel

• @answerer. the qa tend to not hang on to many men for very long. if you read her profile, she explains it

• Almost sounds mutual, you didn't do anything wrong though (which I'm sure you already know), because after all it's you're own body and yours to do what you please with. The fact he has an opinion about it is fine but he was immature about it...

0|0
    0|0
  • what kind of piecing was it? nose or eyebrows somewhere else? I would only end it if a girl said they she was putting it through her nipples, or through some other private part where it could damage something or infect it. I have heard of girls putting it through their clitoris, but I honestly don't know it is actually through it or just through the hood.

but yeah I think he broke up with you, but honestly if he doesn't like you for being who you are, then he was right to end it , so he and you could find a better match

0|1
    0|0
    • ouch, doesn't it hurt to blow your nose and stuff?

• I haven't needed to blow my nose yet.

I've been told while it is healing, yes. Once it is healed, no.

It's tender to touch my nose.. and I've been told to try not to.

But, there isn't any real pain.

• Seriously? If he actually likes you he won't care about a thing like that. If he ends it, good. You can do better.

1|1
    0|2
    • Nah, here's the thing, people have different standards and stuff, of what they think is acceptable.

• The two of you weren't compatible. You getting this piercing just made that evident, is all.

0|1
    0|1
  • You did. You valued a piece of metal through your skin more than his opinion, so it's a good thing in the end.

0|1
    1|0
    • That is basically what happened. He told you that he wasn't comfortable with it, and you chose that over him.

• Or maybe it's her body so she can do what she wants with it.

• Of course she can do what she wants with her body. She can pierce it, ink it, cut it, make it skinny, make it fat... she can jump of a bridge if she wants and it's totally her right. What she did with it in this case was stick a piece of metal through it, and doing so was more important to her than what her boyfriend thought.

Was he being immature to make an ultimatum? Sure. But she's the one that chose a piercing over a boyfriend.

• If you believed his ultimatum I think you ended it. It sounds like you made a good choice.

0|1
    0|2
  • Who broke up with who? Why, that would be you. He gave you an ultimatum, and you made your choice.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nobody has yet, but you won't be surprised if he does.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm glad he broke up with you

1|3
    1|0
  • You did. He just followed his promise.

0|1
    0|0
  • You did ultimately.

1|2
    1|1
  • both of you broke up with each other

0|1
    0|0
  • Hm, I'm not sure there's really a cut and dry answer to this.
    I guess you kind of broke up with him. He gave you a choice and you chose not to flinch and do it anyway, which ended the relationship. In a way though, it sounds oddly mutual.

I'm not the biggest fan of the idea of piercings, but:
    1) I'd never break up with someone over a piercing.
    2) Different piercings look good on different people. Read other answers and saw it was your septum (I feel dumb, but thanks for teaching me that word XD ). Going by your profile picture, I'm thinking it probably looks cute on you.

Good riddance to him. You'll find someone better who won't be so judgy, hopefully.

0|0
    0|0
  • Best thing for you.. never allow another person to dictate what you can and can't do with your own body, especially if they are making an ultimatum about the relationship.

That just means they think you're so insecure and needy about them, that it's the ultimate trump card for them to play - and if you give in once, they will use it again.

Best to dump them first, for being a controlling prick.

1|1
    0|2
  • Sounds rather mutual to me. Given that you didn't see eye-to-eye on the issue, I'd say it was for the best.

1|1
    0|0
  • you both broke up

0|1
    0|0
  • Sounds mutual to me, it's not always him or her.

I would have left you too, piercings always end up looking grotesque, but girls think it makes them edgy, and apparently that's a good thing?

0|1
    1|0

What Girls Said 11

• From where I am sitting, you didn't really give a rat's hole if he liked it or not, and stood up for what you believed in. And that was Doing what You wanted, Not letting any jerk control you, Not caring in the least if he broke it off or not, and in the end, You now have something that is hooked to you, that you can take it in and out without it Screaming in your damn ear,"You're disfigured!"

Good for you, sweetie. Hope he has a nice Valentine's Day without you this year, while you go out and paint the town red in your new----piercing.xx

4|1
    0|4
  • You broke up with him. You broke his (stupid) little "rule", meaning you didn't give a damn about what he thinks and that you might as well break up with him over it. I think it was a good move. If a guy is ready to break up with you if you got a piercing, it goes to show that he never really had true feelings for you, nor that he actually cared.

0|0
    1|1
  • I would say nobody since you haven't had the 'break-up conversation' yet... although if you got the piercing, knowing he would end it if you did, and have no intention of talking to him again... I would say you ended it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't really matter, but I would say that you did. He said he'd break up with you if you did it and you did. You wanted the piercing more than the guy, so you made the ultimate decision.

0|0
    0|0
  • HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA I freaking love you. I would've done the same.

3|1
    0|3
  • He did, because he was the one who ended it because of the piercing. You just went and got a piercing. Him breaking up was a consequence of that, sure, but you weren't the one to actually end it. Good thing too, because you don't need a guy who will break up with you over such a small cosmetic change. If it weren't this, then he would find another reason any time you decided to do anything with your looks. Even if septum piercings are typically disliked by guys, you'd think he would be able to overlook it because he supposedly loves you.

0|0
    0|0
  • lol, good for you.

1|1
    0|4
  • You broke up with each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • You did.

0|0
    1|0
  • Seems like a mutual break up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Okay so, did he really leave? I would say you both equally broke up with each other.

1|1
    0|2

Recommended myTakes