Is it ever too late to say you're sorry?

Back story: My first ever girlfriend. Met while working a summer job away from my home. Got serious very fast.

She was wonderful in every way - lovely, charming, delightful, generous, kind and many other superlatives that are beyond my vocabulary.

I was immature, callous, naive and ignorant (at best).

Summer ended, I went home. Discovered other women were interested in me as well and just ended contact with the women above.

Now I'm not so vain as to believe that encounter was of much import in her life but it is something that I've felt bad about for decades as I know she was hurt.

77

Most Helpful Girl

• Never. There is no statute of limitations on being a jerk, and an apology, even a late one, is always good form. Just know that you cannot control her reaction to it, she may say 'who is this', she may say fuck off, or she may be gracious and accept it. Don't have expectations of how you think she should respond, because she's entitled to feel however she feels about you, and your apology.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • This is the best answer. I apologised to my ex about how things ended between us about 7 months after the break up. Never received a reply, but I guess at least I tried.

• Thank you. I don't have high expectations nor do I deserve absolution, I just think it might be the right thing to do.