I like my friend's ex. Is this wrong?

I like my friends ex. I'm closer to her than him though.

They had problem happen that I don't want to go into much detail about, but now they are taking a break from their relationship because she doesn't want to date unless both of them are ready to date again (clearly she's unsure about it, she has complained to me about their relationship before).

She is the only girl I can think about lately though, and she's the only person where I live that understands me.

Is this wrong? Also, how should I go about telling her I like her without ruining our friendship?

41

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it's wrong. They're figuring out their relationship situation at the moment. Even if they break up, they're still fresh out of a relationship and I doubt neither of them are ready to jump feet first into the next one. I don't think your friend would appreciate having you jump on her bones the minute they break up. That would show that you're tactless and that you're unable to analyze situations properly. People need time to heal from relationships, so jumping from one boat to the next will not end well. She will most likely bring her baggage directly from their relationship to yours, if you so happened to get a yes from her. And that isn't exactly an ideal way to start a relationship.

If you really like her, you should be able to wait a while. Wait for their relationship thing to cool down, and then ASK YOUR FRIEND FIRST if it's okay if you date her. That's common courtesy. If he's a good friend who has moved on from her, he'll be able to tell you that you're allowed to pursue her. If he says no, and that he hasn't moved on yet, it's up to you whether you want to be a good friend or not.