What to do when a guy doesn't make any effort?

This guy almost left me but then turned around and said that he wants to date me again (hes an ex) and he still cares about me. I asked him just last night and he says he still cares a lot and wants to be with me again but "can not be affectionate 100% of the time".. he has not been affectionate or reassuring at ALL. He puts in no effort lately and I tried asking him about it and he didn't really care, he just got annoyed.

What do I do? I love him and he is usually VERY invested and makes it clear he loves me, too. But lately it's like he's emotionally detached or something. I've tried talking to him and I keep putting in effort and its just making me depressed because no matter what I've tried for the past few days, he still acts distant and says "he's acting normal"..

Im not sure how to fix this. Should I just distance MY self from it? And if he doesn't turn it around end things because I can't take it?

25

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a though call. Seeing as you were getting back together with your ex, I'm going to go on a hunch and say that he missed the concept of being in a relationship, which is a poor reason to get back together with someone. I don't think love would involve breaking up as a solution to a couple's problem; wouldn't that instead involve a couple working towards resolving issues while still being together? I know you really want things to work out with this person, but my advice is that in the short term you should probably tell him up front exactly how you're feeling. If he's unwilling to change or you're unwilling to settle for less than "100% affection" then you should break up and probably have no contact, so you don't end up in the endless on again off again spiral. But again, no one has all the information but you, so only you know what is best for yourself.