Why is moving on so damn hard?

I recently broke up with my ex boyfriend of 12 months or so, we had gotten through our first break up a few months ago and I felt like things were going fairly well. But in the end his parents told him that they thought we should just be friends, and that I pretty much didn't "fit" with their family, due to some ideological differences... Anyways, so it's been two months or so and I still can't stop thinking about him and missing him. I have done the necessary things, like I deleted his phone number so I wouldn't be tempted to call or text him (which I have wanted to many times) but we also share the same group of friends and it's been hard, I try to limit the time I spend in our hang-out space because when I see him it hurts. He wants to be friends saying that he wants me in his life, but I'm not ready yet.

I'm trying to push myself to do things I wanted to do that I couldn't with him, like running for a position in government at my school, running a 10K, meeting new people... but it's like, I feel like I'm not worth much at the same time you know? The hardest thing for me is that I'm a fighter, always have been, and I told him I wanted to make it work but he said that he "didn't want me to get hurt anymore" how can I do this? Being friends with someone who let me down, hanging out with my and his friends? Sorry, this is kind of a rant, but any advice as to how to move forwards would be appreciated.
Updates:
I guess I should have worded it better at the beginning, I didn't break up with him, his parents told him they didn't really like me and didn't think I was a good "fit" sorry, he broke up with me, or rather his parents broke up with me.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 0

Be the first guy to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

What Girls Said 2

• Its really difficult but...you have to be strong. Sadly,I think some people allow others to rule their life and If your ex is listening to his parents,then...sadly you are the casualty. I can't suggest anything other than continuing to move on girly. I know it hurts and it sucks. But if he chooses to follow his parents belief about you,also to...in a way protect you...theres nothing you can do. Unless he decides to be naughty and say to hell with his parents...but some folks aren't that brave.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't think he'll change his mind, but I'm just going to keep on doing fun new things, this is the time to meet new people and enjoy life. Thank you for your words of advice. :)

• He'll regret letting his parents control his life so much one day. They sound incredibly shallow and unintelligent. Good riddance. Time is the answer, with time you will heal and one day it won't hurt to look at him anymore. Screw the friendship. He lost that privilege when he broke up with you because mommy and daddy told him to.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you for your advice, you're right, I don't want to force a square block into a circle peg you know? And I'll be polite but you're also right, after everything, waiting for something and trying... I don't want to be friends with someone that hurt me and let me down.

Recommended myTakes