Why is moving on so damn hard?

I recently broke up with my ex boyfriend of 12 months or so, we had gotten through our first break up a few months ago and I felt like things were going fairly well. But in the end his parents told him that they thought we should just be friends, and that I pretty much didn't "fit" with their family, due to some ideological differences... Anyways, so it's been two months or so and I still can't stop thinking about him and missing him. I have done the necessary things, like I deleted his phone number so I wouldn't be tempted to call or text him (which I have wanted to many times) but we also share the same group of friends and it's been hard, I try to limit the time I spend in our hang-out space because when I see him it hurts. He wants to be friends saying that he wants me in his life, but I'm not ready yet.

I'm trying to push myself to do things I wanted to do that I couldn't with him, like running for a position in government at my school, running a 10K, meeting new people... but it's like, I feel like I'm not worth much at the same time you know? The hardest thing for me is that I'm a fighter, always have been, and I told him I wanted to make it work but he said that he "didn't want me to get hurt anymore" how can I do this? Being friends with someone who let me down, hanging out with my and his friends? Sorry, this is kind of a rant, but any advice as to how to move forwards would be appreciated.
I guess I should have worded it better at the beginning, I didn't break up with him, his parents told him they didn't really like me and didn't think I was a good "fit" sorry, he broke up with me, or rather his parents broke up with me.

20