Is it a fair reason for a man to break up when his girlfriend doesn't want kids?

Well for a long time I always thought that wanting kids was mainly a woman's thing and some men only later on said yes only to comfort the woman.

I got the surprise when it caused a break-up in my last relationship several months ago. I don't have any urges to ever have kids while I kind of knew he did wanted one day but thought of it as a ''Maybe he didn't mean it''. He overheard a conversation I was having with a female friend about never wanting kids and making jokes about it.

Then he started acting differently and I asked him why. He said about not knowing this in me and how it was a deal-breaker for him so we break up. And we've been dating for about 10 months so it really surprised me that was worth breaking up.
I didn't think some men naturally wanted kids just he wants that (not because the woman mentions it first; I didn't).

68

Most Helpful Guy

• It certainly is a fair reason. I want kids, and would break up with any woman that didn't. It is harder for men to have kids than women. A woman even has the option of finding a guy, she knows doesn't want kids, so she can have a kid, and not be stuck with the guy for the rest of her life. Men have to find a woman that wants kids, and then as a result of her wanting to keep the kid will be connected to that woman for the rest of his life. So even guys that want kids, fear having children with the wrong woman, more than women fear having children with the wrong man.

This biological difference then spreads the stereotypes that men don't want children, but women do. This same stereotype is likely the reason he stayed in the relationship for so long. He figured you most likely did want kids since you are a woman.