Is the family court system biased against fathers?

It is evident that the average person cannot afford the justice system and many times fathers are left out because they cannot fight for their rights. The system still favors mothers unreasonably and even if mental health issues are involved the father can't pay to prove it.

As a result the fathers often are forced to give up their children, resulting in long-term emotional damage to the child because mom says he "abandoned them" when she decided to live thousands of miles away to make it impossible for him to spend time with them.

Cost for travel and time off work is prohibitive. The system is a mess! If you are rich you have a better shot at being heard at least. It is easy to see why some fathers just walk away.

The emotional damage it does to them to not be able to fight their way into the lives of their children is just too much. There is increased depression and suicide as a result, besides the psychological damage to the children.

Do you think the system is fair or needs an upheaval?

• It's fair - Keep it as it is
  • The system needs to be vastly improved

914

Most Helpful Guy

• It's no mystery that the US courts favor women in every respect, but especially with anything related to parenting or reproductive rights.

It is also clear that most women are incapable of seeing the bias for what it is, which is another example of how women want equality and fairness only when it benefits them.

• It's totally true. Men get absolutely no say in the matter. In fact a teenage girl that gets pregnant and has a child, can give that child up for adoption without needing any consent from the father.

There's even been cases of fathers not knowing the child even existed and later found out and searched for them.

• QA - thank you for the BA.

• you're welcome!