Everyone: Can women (and men) really compete with the "new and different"?

I am writing a paper for my Psychology class and I need some help. Now, people will tell you that there are many reasons why people cheat. Some because they're dissatisfied with the sex or attention they receive at home, some for financial benefits and others simply because they can (and other reasons I'm sure). My argument is that no matter how good things are in your relationship, whether marriage or otherwise, you can never really compete with someone/something that is seemly new and different. It's human nature to want that. Now, the excitement you get from that new encounter may spark feelings of dissatisfaction in your own life and may make you more likely to cheat. And as the other partner in that relationship, there is really nothing you can do to avoid that, in my opinion. But what is your take on this issue? Do you agree, disagree, have other thoughts? How could you prevent your partner from cheating in this scenario, if that's even possible? Please share your thoughts and thank you all in advance!

13

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I agree with your premise, but disagree that "there's nothing you can do". You're right, a woman can't replicate the first time with a long-term partner... the feelings or excitement. But New Pussy's illiterate. New Pussy can't cook.

People have to learn to appreciate the stability and lack of drama that an established relationship can provide, regardless of how "unsexy" it seems.

And people need to do the best they can to keep the relationship and the sex fresh. When you hear the phrase "relationships are hard work" I think that's what they're referring to.

You can never fully prevent someone else in a relationship form doing something, but you can certainly provide a disincentive.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I agree, provide an incentive for the person not to cheat, but I was speaking to the very same thing where the relationship is almost perfection, you're getting everything you've ever needed, nothing is seemly lacking but then someone new comes along, what is your partner to do in that regard? And there are times when this new person is equal or "greater" than your current partner, so what is the incentive then?

• Then you have to rely on a person's individual desire not to be an asshole.