After how long of dating is it accepted to break up with a text message? when is it mandatory to break up in person?

does the break up have to be in person, when is it ok to do it over message

Updates:
Thank you all for the feedback. the relationship is going to end on good terms, I'm just an emotional person which is why I was going to resort to sending a message so I would not have to do the talking then see him and say goodbye in person.
Thank you all for the feedback. I got my nerves together I'm going to go see him in person.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• How hard is it to dump him/her face to face? It's just not right to dump people via text. I've been dumped via text after an 8 month relationship and I couldn't tell what was worse: getting dumped or the fact that I got dumped via a text message. Sorry if I sound mean, but grow a pair and dump him/her face to face.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I will thank you. did the person tell you why he broke up with you?

• Nope. He just simply said: I think we should break up. I can't do this anymore.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• I'm sorry to be a little blunt but it doesn't matter how many dates you've been or not been on in my opinion it's never a good time to do it over any kind of media except in person. Why? Because when two people start interacting very personally for example going on a date there's always a bit of expectation or should I say anticipation maybe by both or maybe by one but the thing is if the person thinking that the date went well and then anticipating another encounter receives a message that the other person was not the same opinion they might think it's their fault. On the other hand in person it's a little harder for the person that's not into the whole thing but at least the person getting rejected can see the other person being honest and open about the situation and not thinking it's their fault.

Of course this is just my opinion and some situations are special and may require stuff like that but I believe that personal interaction is always better than any other kind when it comes to personal matters.

Best of luck to you.

1|0
    0|0
    • you're not blunt at all, thank you for your reply. is it a good idea to warn the person beforehand that I'm seeing him and I think we should end this and how would I say it? I know he won't be surprised and may be he's been pushing me to do the break up myself because he doesnot want to do it?

• also should i go to his place or my place? what's the etiquette?

• Well your place, his place it doesn't really matter. Basically anywhere that you guys can talk alone will do. As far as warning them if you're acting like everything is ok and then hit them with a hammer over the head then a text is better on the other hand if you let them know that there's something serious you'd like to talk to them about. Then they might know it's something important witch sometimes can also be painful but at least they know something is up.

• If you've been dating for five minutes, it's acceptable to break up over text. On that sixth minute, or anytime after, you gotta do it in person. Show someone the same common courtesy that you deserve.

1|0
    0|0
  • NEVER EVER BREAK UP OVER TEXT. If you have to wait to do it over the phone or in person then wait. It is never OK to do it in text. We all prefer in person, but if you must do it over the phone, then do so

0|0
    0|0
    • Wait, so you're going to message him, even after everyone is saying no? What kind of advice site is this?

• Show All
    • but now Im asking if I should let him know by text why im coming to see him

• The best thing to say to him would just be "Hey, we need to talk. Can I come see you?"

• It's not mandatory to break up in person. Nowadays you're lucky if you can have a conversation with anyone outside of text messages. I have tried talking to a lot of girls out there and so many girls won't even talk on the phone and tell me they prefer to only text. But if you are talking pretty deeply and such and constantly seeing each other in a steady fashion, then I would try to go through in person but only really if you're intending on trying to keep a friendship of some sort going. Otherwise, unless you're really committed, it doesn't even matter. The guy may even find it to be a waste of time to break up in person if you're only casually dating.

0|0
    0|0
    • what's casual dating? and should I ask to meet him or wait until our next date?

• Uncommitted dating where there is no expectation of any sort, like it turning into a relationship. Other part's totally up to you.

• no he's not the type who would find it a waste of time to break up in person. which is why I decided to do it in person. I don't know if we're casually dating, but we're taking things really slow and have no problem if it turns into a relationship but not aggressively looking for one.

• I had my last ex do that to me she can so suck it the twat... I hate her so much for it

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 6

• Never. If you want to salvage any kind of friendship or at least lack of complete disgust I wouldn't recommend breaking up over a text. However, if you want to never talk to that person again (because they would probably never look at you in any way other than disgust) you could break up by text.

0|0
    0|0
  • LOL never... If you even consider breaking up with someone over text, email or phone call that means you should have never dated in the a first place. Not him or her or anyone. That's just way too coward and immature...

0|0
    0|0
    • but the person desnot want to talk :( so im showing my refusal through the message.

• He doesn't want to talk to you? Well then is a given that y'all are broken up lol

• You should never break up via text. Always do it in person.

1|0
    0|0
  • To me it's never ok to break up someone through text. Be respectful and break up in person, not in front of a screen.

1|0
    0|0
  • lol it is never ok to break up with someone over text. would you like it if someone did that to you? have a little respect.

0|0
    0|0
    • is it ok to suggest taking a break through message? and how would you do it?

• I mean me personally I would call them. this isn't a convo id want to have at all via text. I'd call and say id like to talk in person and ask when they are available.

• More from Girls

Recommended myTakes