Should I give up a solid relationship for a chance with my ex?

My ex and I dated for 3 1/2 years when we broke up in 2011. It was a terrible breakup where we had both cheated on one another but differently- mine just sex, his full relationship with someone I had mistrusted since we began dating. I had been 21 for 6 months at this point and we started struggling then. We finally got over the hard part of the breakup and have maintained a friendship. We stil hang out, cook dinner together, go to concerts. We have a similar personality and he understands me and my very bazaar family! Not to mention we had a daughter we gave up for adoption but both stay in contact with. So obviously we are always going to talk to one another.
I have been dating a new man for a year and 3 months. He is great and I love him very much. It took me a long time to be open to dating again. It is a healthy relationship where we talk very openly and share the same interests. No big problems, nothing to warrant breaking up in fact he proposed and I have agreed. I know we will last and it will be a good and happy relationship.
However; I when I last hung out with my ex he made a reference to us and him not knowing what he is doing with his life (including anything about us). It is always just really easy when we are around one another. I feel like the fact I'm thinkin about my ex is a sign that maybe I'm not over him as much as I thought I was!
Please some advice!!!

43

Most Helpful Girl

• I do not think you should necessarily just give up a solid relationship for a chance with your ex. This is something you have to think through. I also do not think you should get engaged with your current boyfriend if you're second guessing him. When and if you marry your boyfriend in the future and you have your ex holding you back, I guarantee that your marriage will not last that long. The situation you're in, you have to be patient and smart with. Ten, fifteen, and maybe even twenty years along the road, you are going to be staring out your window and saying "I wonder if I would be happier and better off with my ex". Just realize what you can potentially lose something great but can surprisingly gain something great. Follow your heart, because this is YOUR life. You're the one who decides what decision should be made, not anyone else :) Just hope that you do not follow the same mistake as my mother made when she rushed into a marriage with my father and still had feelings for someone else.