Parents divorced, my mother said they only married because she accidentally got pregnant with me.?

She told me this a couple years after they got divorced not long after I moved out of the house. She filed divorce papers on my father, and was relieved the "ordeal" was finally over.

They only married for me (and sister later) just to raise us and provide a somewhat stable environment. Said they ever loved each other, actually couldn't stand each other after all those years.

Also that it ruined her life as she never had the opportunity to feel real love or fall in love with someone. But that it was offset by raising us saying it was "worth it."

Not sure how to take all of this. I was a product of a one night stand and a shotgun wedding. Are there many others who grew up in a similar life situation?

41

Most Helpful Girl

• Look! 99% of us are products of dysfunctional families. There are many just like your story. And many more to follow. Don't look for the negative in your scenario but the positive. They cared enough to attempt to give and your sibling a healthy start. Something two people who hated each other sacrificed you. The positive: I am NOT spending 18+ with anyone I hate ( think about it) couldn't a hated each other that much they had another child so your humble beginning wasn't a "one night stand" but the beginning of a life long relationship. How they chose to live it was your parent fault. So don't take the way they chose to live their lives affect your feeling; guilty or worse unwanted. You weren't given for adoption and you grew up in a two parent home. Now what you haven't mention was how was it growing up with them. You have more to be grateful for then to be worried about how mommy feels about daddy AT THE MOMENT! THAT IS THEIR PROCESS NOT YOURS...Husbands and wives still and always will have their moments