Why would an ex (dumper) get upset over the no contact rule?

My ex boyfriend and I have been broken up for over 5 months now, We were together for 3 years and over the course I lied to him causing him to break up with me, during the breakup it was always difficult for us to let go and even after we agreed to stop contact and try to move on, he gets upset and doesn't understand when i dont answer or pick up his calls. I want him back but when we talk about us, he can never make up his mind to understand what it is that he wants from us. Please HELP!

20