How long does it take guys to overcome their breakup?

My ex called me today and said he's still depressed. He doesn't like being alone. (His mom lives with him though.)
He does things like hang out with friends, goes to work, works on his truck, etc. I suggested that he go to a therapist, but he doesn't want to.
I don't know what to do. He says he still cares about me and I do too. It's been about 4 weeks he's been depressed. I was only depressed for a week.
I know his mom had manic depression for awhile, but that's over with and I really hope he does not get that way.
I have depression too, plus anxiety and panic attacks, but I go to a psychiatrist and take meds for it and I've had these symptoms way before I met him. (It runs in my family.)
He's against taking meds. So that's why I suggested a therapist. He said he talks to his mom and sister about it. But they can only give him advice in what they know. They're not professionals.
4
1