Help! What does my ex boyfriend want from me?

Me and my ex had quite a bad breakup, I hurt him a lot which followed by 5 months of total silence from him. I was blocked on fb etc. Eventually he said he was ready to forgive me and that we could try and be friends again. It didn't quite work as we still had that sexual chemistry between us and I could tell that he wanted to make a move but was too scared of me becoming attached again. My ex would talk to me and snapchat and then suddenly would stop for a month but then eventually start again. Now he is on 6 month holiday with his friends and I am the only girl he snapchats on occasional basis. I dont understand him, is he genuinely wants to be friends or he is still interested?
I know "snapchat" is not a big deal but he is obsessed with it and uses it a lot. He is on his gap year and barely uses it atm as he is travelling a lot ( busy) However, I am one of those few who he always talks to and sends photos. Isn't it weird?

01