Is creating a fake profile to see if your ex is cheating wrong?

I recently went on my boyfriend's (of 1 1/2 years) computer and when I opened the internet, his dating website profile was on the screen. I confronted him and broke up with him. We had a long talk and he apologized. He said he would delete the profile and take us seriously. Four days later, he is still going on the site. I have not spoken to him about it just yet. I am trying to stay calm and see if he will delete it. I created a fake profile and sent him a message to see if he would respond. I feel terrible for doing this, but I need to know the truth about his intentions since he isn't being really honest with me. I KNOW this is wrong, but have you done this before? If you were caught, what was the outcome? Am I just as wrong as wrong for setting him up as he is for lying?
  • Would you created a fake website to catch your bf/gf?
  • Or is it just absolutely wrong?
Well, he is NOT my ex, for now. We are currently back together.
I should have mentioned, that a week before I found out, he said things were going good between us and he didn't go on the dating website because of it. I did see that he hadn't been on there for a week. Now that we worked it out, he still is!

611

Most Helpful Guy

• its hard to say, yes the possibility of cheating is there but have you found any other evidence/signs? (Example other emails, him coming home constantly late due "To work"...)

due what you gotta due if he's still using the sight in two plus weeks then just dump him and move on...your not a bad person for standing up to him and doing this.

• I didn't go through his emails. It's his phone that would be my target if I were to check anything else. If it get's to the point that I am waiting for that chance, then it will probably be over by then. I am trying to give him the chance. Friday nights we drink and I am afraid I am not going to be able to hold my tongue. I don't lie very well and I have trouble hiding my emotions. It is going to be difficult to not show him something is bothering me.

Most Helpful Girl

• im assuming he's your bf again as you had the long talk and made up? its definitely wrong but in his case he just can't seem to stop going on the site talking to other girls.

if he can't take your relationship seriously after 1 1/2 years then he's not the guy for you, he's a cheat and you can do much better.

• Although he swears he never has cheated and never would (and I believe him) do you think this can be put in the same category as cheating? I believe what he did was wrong, but others opinions about the online dating but not physically cheating interests me.

• While it is not cheating literally. Lying is a red flag, lying leads to cheating.
      I should know, I broke up with my ex after she screwed up her 2nd chance.

You could wait until he cheats, then break up with him. But then you'd be asking yourself 'why her not me'.
      If you break up before he does it, you will always wonder if he would have really cheated.

Hard decision to make...

• it depends on your own definition of cheating, i personally would put talking to other girls on a dating website in the cheating category because it signals he is looking to cheat or something more than friends behind your back and its one of those things where if you can't tell your partner and know theyll be ok with it then you're doing something you shouldn't be.