Why did my ex tell me he loved me everyday for a year, only to tell me he then had no intention of having a future with me anytime soon?

I recently broke up with my ex after a year. I loved him so much, but when I asked about what was happening in the future, just out of curiosity, I got more than I bargained for.
He told me it was too soon to move in together or get married. I said that is fine, but felt a little hurt at his abruptness. He then said no matter what happens we will always be friends, no matter what girlfriend he has in the future. I was in shock and asked what do you mean girlfriend in the future? I said don't you want to be with me? He said I do love you and really respect you, but he didn't want to discuss it anymore. I was just in so much shock by his heartlessness I left, to figure out what had just happened. My friend said it sounds like he is breaking up with you.

I asked him after if he loves me. He said he thinks so.
I couldn't take being with someone who wasn't sure, it didn't seem fair, so I decided to end it.
He fought to keep me for a bit, but 3 weeks later he got a new girlfriend and 3 months on he is living with her.

He told me loved me everyday, and how beautiful I was. He would get jealous of other guys talking to me. He wanted to be with me all the time.
Why did he lie everyday? Why did he just string me along when I pretending when I could have been with someone that actually loved me?

I'm so hurt by it all, I feel worthless. I don't know what I did or why this new girl is so much better.

I just don't get it. Can someone help me please?

10

Most Helpful Girl

• I can kind of get where you're coming from, my ex actually told me that he pretended to love me for 8 months. I don't think for a second that he didn't love you, it isn't easy to just pretend like that. He should have handled the situation a lot better than he did and should have just been up front about it all. I understand how much you must be hurting but you are not worthless. If he has already moved in with this other girl it proves how spineless and cowardly he is and you can and will do much better than him. You deserve to be with someone who gives you the future you want. I would say make sure you cut all contact, I know that can be hard but you don't need daily reminders of him. Also try and get out there, meet new people etc. I promise you'll feel better once you meet new people and realise that he was not meant for you x

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thank you so much for your comment. It made me feel a lot better. I actually went on my first date since it all today and even if nothing comes of it, it was just nice to meet someone else.