My ex told me that he misses me?

My ex broke up with me about a week ago. We didn't end on the best terms, and there were a few reasons why he broke up, the main one being that I did something dumb to break his trust a few months ago and we've been on edge ever since. He tells me he still loves and cares about me but he's just too afraid to get hurt, and I know this is true. Well today he texted me and he said "I miss you", when I told him I miss him as well, he said "that sounded genuine"

Why did he say he misses me? And when I told him I missed him, why did he reply "that sounded genuine" ?
Do you think he wants me back?

20