My boyfriend broke up with me - but he said he still wants me around?

My boyfriend of seven and a half months broke up with me last night. He kept telling me that I did nothing wrong and that I'm an incredible girl and all-around person. He said he really enjoyed dating me this past school year and that it made it a lot better. He said he did honestly like me a lot and I have become his best friend because of it. He said he will be telling me this a lot but he really really still wants me around. He said I am very well-liked by everybody and like he said I am his best friend and I am considered part of his friends' group now.

BUT he told me that he was hesitant on asking me to be his girlfriend back in September. He is about to graduate college in December but I'll still be around school for another year and a half (we're both from the same area). He said the relationship is honestly bad timing because of where he is with college and future career, which will more than likely have him across the country. He said he doesn't know if he wants a long distance relationship and doesn't like the idea right now. He said he's doing this now because he doesn't want to be leading me on and he doesn't want to potentially drag me into the situation and he said it would be worse if it happened in the future rather than now.

As he was saying this though, his eyes were watery and I could tell he was hiding the fact that he was crying when I heard him sniffle. He said it's just as hard for me as it is for you right now but this will be the better for the both of us and I think being friends would be best for a situation like this. He also said if I need anything I can talk to him but I told him I don't think I can do that right now. I said I need my space for awhile.

I've never been so heartbroken before and I really don't know what to do or why he's doing this even after saying all that. What do I do about all of this? I honestly have never been so lost in my life. ANYTHING will be appreciated

21

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm so sorry you are hurting right now. But there's nothing you can do, he's just not at a time in his life when he's ready for long term committment.