How long to date someone before getting married?

Usually, how long do people date someone before getting married on average? My boyfriend is 25 I'm 18 if that makes a difference.

47

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm ASTOUNDED at how fast people get married, I just don't understand the rush. Doesn't make anyone less likely to leave, it just makes it more of a pain in the ass. I read some smart thing once by a professional scientician, and they said that the human brain is more prone to essentially lustful infatuation the first year and a half or so, and after that, you evolve into either "settle down mode" or "sweet jeebus, I need to get the hell away from this clown mode." I don't understand how you could decide in such a short amount of time that you want to be with someone for supposedly the rest of your life. I think there's a social validation that comes with it that people are after. I mean, whatever, do what you feel is right, but if I'm playing the odds game, the longer you hold out, the better your chances. My parents date for 13 years before marrying, and they just celebrated their 37th anniversary a couple months back. There's gotta be something to that.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I put myself into his shoe that's why I asked this question... He's pretty aging...

• Well, personally, I wouldn't recommend getting married any time soon. You should be exploring life at this age. It's fine to date, but at your age, the person you'll be in even 5 years will be drastically different than today. Marriage is a very serious thing, you can't just jump into it. Marriages may or may not work out, and you're rolling the dice at any age, but I tend to think the older you are and longer you've been together, the better the odds. If your boyfriend is 25 and you're 18, the relationship isn't doomed or anything. My parents are six years apart, close to your age gap, however they began dating at like 34 and 28, so it was a very different ball game. If your question is about when your boyfriend will start getting the itch, that's tough to say without knowing him.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on you how it is seen in a country. At your age, I don't think it's that necessary to rush things. Give yourself two or three years at least

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

• Must be my young age I think 25 is super old and weird not to have a wife lol.

• Then it's a huge cultural difference. Where I live, 25 is considered really young to get married. Also, you shouldn't it's weird not to have a wife at 25. You shouldn't judge people like that.