Would it matter to you if you found out the person you are casually dating has bipolar disorder, and if so, why?

Bipolar Disorder is a mental illness in which the diagnosed person has extreme highs and lows. Divorce rate when one of the partners is diagnosed with bipolar disorder is as high as 90%. The statistics surrounding bipolar disorder and relationships are scary, there is no doubt. However, bipolar people can and do have successful marriages and relationships. The chances of having such a relationship can be improved by learning about the disorder, seeking proper treatment and developing particular strategies for dealing with the stressors that can arise from syptomatic episodes.

Alfonsosloan45 - I was actually hoping for a little bit more in a response than that. That response was quite unfair. I'm assuming you've never dated or didn't know you dated someone with a mental illness. I'm sure you've met several in your life, given the fact that 5.7 million American adults have bipolar disorder alone.
Attractive_Guy - how do you know this? Do you have bipolar?

22

Most Helpful Guy

• Bipolar disorder is a horrible fucking thing if it's not medicated. Fuck that.

• No, I don't have bipolar disorder, but instead I have known quite a variety of people who have as it runs on one side of the family never skipping a generation. In reality it's bad both ways; the depression sucks, but that's obvious, it's the Mania that gets me where people will freaking buy shit they don't even want on impulse or do crazy stunts just for giggles that may or may not impact their futures in major ways but always seems to make them look dumb. Without medication even if it's a slow swap ( low frequency wave shape ) it's still annoying since the rises and falls tend to take longer.

Most Helpful Girl

• It would matter to me. A lot. But if I really liked them, I'd try to tolerate it.

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 1

• I have a friends with benefits type person I was seeing, he got diagnosed with BPD and let me say it really does take a toll. One minute they can be on a high super sweet, caring, loving but within days sometime's hours it can change. They're ignoring you and being cold leaving you to wonder what you did when you didn't do anything at all. It's hard to be supportive to them when you don't know how to help an don't know when the next "low" will be. It can be rewarding when they are themselve's but if it changes it does really frustrate the other person because it feels like you can't help or it's your fault when they're lashing out at you.