Should Men Always Pay For Dates/Outings?

I am 25... and I gotta say, I hate dating sometimes. I have no problem getting a woman's number and going on a few dates... but dating can become costly when you are paying for you and the woman.

The last time I went on a date, we went to the Cheesecake Factory. The girl I was with ordered a lot of food and I also got a few things. Between the both of us, all of that cost me $120. So, basically, I had to pay for her and for myself.

I see this quite often. It's like, if a girl knows she doesn't have to pay, she gets more stuff. Like this one girl I was with before, we went out for drinks. I ordered 1 drink the entire night and she got 5. That tab cost me $40.

This isn't the 1950s anymore. I view relationships as a partnership and both parties are equal, liable and responsible for what they get when they go out. A guy shouldn't be made to pay for everything, and a woman should pay for her own stuff. I think that's fair.

• Men Should Always Pay For Dates/Outing
  • It Should Be 50/50 - Men & Women Should Split The Bill
I also feel like if you are always paying for the outings, there's more of a chance that a woman will just see you as a doormat.
Good points. HOWEVER... a lot of people are saying, "The person who asks for the date, should be the one to pay for it". How often do women invite men on dates? It is usually the man who initiates the date...

2324

Most Helpful Girl

• I think a man should at least offer to pay for the first date, especially if he did the asking. However, when I'm on a date, I will order 1/2 drinks and a basic main meal, nothing extravagant. I will always offer to go Dutch, I'm impressed by a guy who's willing to pay for the first date, it means he's old school, which I like but after that, I'm happy to pay for myself or split it or whatever. The only reason I want a guy to pay first is I've dated enough losers to know, him 'forgetting his wallet' or just paying his half is 100% a sign the guy is a dick and doesn't see this going anywhere or he's a guy who will be a drain on me and MY money. I work a minimum wage job, I can pay my own way and I'm not interested in anyone else's money but as I don't want someone spending my money, I won't spend theirs either. I'm not an expensive girlfriend, I don't ask to be paid for all the time but just for a first date, I want a guy to show his interest. I'm sure I'll get down voted but sorry, that's just my opinion.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • No you won't get downvoted, that's how girlfriend's should be.

• @funny_strange_man thank you :)

• @Franklin11726 it's not the 1950s anymore and like i said women do ask guys out. Is the guy suppose to pay then?

Most Helpful Guy

• The problem with deciding who "should" pay for dates is that there is no correct answer. There are arguments to be made for several positions. The more important consideration is "how would the different options work out for you?"

Traditional women envision that one day, they will have children and be a stay-at-home mom. They are looking for a man who will be able to support her and their family. They may see a guy's concern about paying as a warning sign. Perhaps that is not "fair" but I think that is the way that it works.

Yes, some women can take advantage of a guy when he is paying for everything. You don't need to take a girl out for a fancy meal on a first date and you can close the bar tab before she orders 7 bloody marys. However, I look at that behavior as a warning sign: this girl did not pass the test and there will not be a second date. The investment of that money may have saved from making a much worse decision down the road.

The woman I want will accept traditional gender roles. That means that I pay for everything when we go out. If I insist on 50/50, some women who are otherwise nice ladies may lose interest because they would assume that I am a cheap jerk.

If you want to go 50/50 on dates, tell a girl in advance. . . but anticipate that your announcement will have some consequences.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE