What do I need to change?

Anonymous
So, I have the problem of not being able to make any female friends (and as a result, no girlfriend either...). I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm a college sophomore, and I have been trying for numerous semesters to make friends and even acquaintances, but to no avail. I try and start off by asking about something pertaining to the class, and I try to get the conversation going from there. Unfortunately, that method seems to to fail almost every time. So I'm lost as to what to do. All that happens is i try to start the conversation, and then the individual just doesn't seem interested. I have tried intiating conversations with a wide variety of girls, but no luck. I suffer from depression and social anxiety, and it's difficult to muster up the courage to start a conversation with anyone. It's been so discouraging to try and fail to make any acquaintances. I doubt that it's just coincidence or bad luck, because it happens way to often. I must be doing something wrong.

Here is just a example conversation I have had.

me: what did you think of (insert poem name)?

girl: eh... It was okay, although I prefer plays instead of poems. I like writing them, but I hate reading them.

me: really? I always had trouble reading plays, so I'm not much of a fan of plays.

girl: try watching them on YouTube. That's what i do and it helps.

me: I'll try it, thanks.

girl: no problem.

the conversation went on, but I can't remember the precise wording

after having a fairly long conversation, the next time i saw her, she merely ignored me. I thought, after a decent conversation, we would at least become acquaintances, but regrettably we did not. That has been the case for every single conversation I have with anyone. I dont know what it is that I'm doing, but any ideas on what I could do to improve my chances?

What do I need to change?
1
1