Subtle flirting with indicators or a direct and straightforward approach?

Which method would you prefer the opposite gender to take to show they are interested in you? And why did you pick that option?

Please avoid saying both :P

• Subtle flirting with indicators
  • Direct and straightforward
  • See results
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:

1912

Most Helpful Girl

• Flirting is fun , but if he wants me to know he's interested in me as a person, or wants to go on a date then he'd need to be direct and straight forward.

I'm useless at taking hints , and if a guy's flirting I just assume he's being friendly and is flirtatious with all girls , but just for fun 🙈😂

• I'm the same!!! I cannot take a hint even if it's the cliche obvious ones. I get suspicious and skeptical but that's about it.
      Somehow I'll convince myself that he's just friendly and doesn't like me like that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Man, I'm a little disappointed at all the women who said direct and straight forward... The uncertainty from subtle flirting is part of the fun! Trying to read another person, judge their reactions to things said and done and ultimately figure them out is seriously one of the best things about the whole thing.

Maybe it's just me... but the subtle hints, purposely leaving the other person wondering and/or confused (or being left that way) for a short period of time... can be incredibly sexy.

• I suppose it makes sense, though. Most guys out there are looking for the direct approach, so it's understandable that most women vote for that choice.

• Lol yassss the confusion can be a little fun in the beginning but it drives me insane to try to analyze whether he likes me or not. But if it goes on longer than like 2-3 months (I'm talking about in a class setting) then I feel like he's playing with me just for an ego boost or for fun. I don't mind if it's just for fun and I'm not that into him but after a few months I start to catch feelings and want something more serious and legit like a date!

What Girls Said 18

• Subtle flirting with indicators... but those indicators should be clear. Guys who are too direct seem like they want to move too fast for my taste. I could be wrong, but I'm 20 and in college sooo.

• Lol really? I prefer directness so I know if he's just trying to use me for hw or actually hang out 😂😂 guys in my college classes are always so sneaky. Like they get my number under the pretenses of studying and then when I try to set up a day for a study group, he cancels!! Eventually he'll try to drop hints that he wants to get to know me on a personal level and I'm like 😔 'but I thought we were gonna study'
      I don't do well with 1 on 1 studying because I'd talk about things off topic but I could definitely use a study group. I usually do better in classes when I do

• A combination of both. I'm going through this process right now, and it was a little backwards, but we were direct about both of us being interested, and now we're sort of subtly flirting with each other and getting to know each other more, to see if we're compatible etc.

• You could not be direct and straightforward enough with me. I do not get subtle flirting. I always just assume people are being polite.
    Tbh even if a guy is incredibly straightforward I still might not believe him 🙈
    #shygirlproblems
    #clueless

• More direct.

• Direct and straight forward. So I know how to avoid it 😅

• I'd prefer him to be straightforward and direct

• I don't mind both but I'm so blockheaded and naive that I wouldn't know it's flirting.

• Straight forward, I ain't always making the moves nor am i waiting forever

• Everyone should just be as straightforward as possible.

• I need someone to be direct with me because I'm terrible at picking up on subtle hints 😂

• I need direct!! Otherwise I seriously cannot tell and it drives me nuts to keep overanalyzing his actions and words. I'm constantly trying to figure out if a guy likes me.

Most of the time I chalk it up to he was just being friendly or likes to flirt for his ego. I don't know why guys aren't more upfront, or if they are it's like months later when I've already deemed him to just being friendly. I don't like finding out a guy friend likes me because it's almost like he lied to me.

Great question!

• Direct and straightforward is my personal preferred method, I dislike casual flirting.

• Tell me you like me. I don't like mind games

• Subtle flirting, a lot of smiling, sitting close to the person and "accidental" touches ;)

• I already posted something similar! I wonder this thought of staying reserved made me socially awkward! So i will go for straightforward thing...

• I prefer the more direct way.

• Well, i would try both. Since too straightforward would make them back off, usually. And leave them in the dark of puzzle seems coward so, ill do both.

• I know you said to avoid but... I think the best way is to subtly flirt until you get the green light then flip the switch to direct and straight forward... that's what I do.

What Guys Said 11

• I prefer subtle, it's more fun that way. Direct is sorta off putting because you feel more obliged to return it (even if you don't quite feel it).

• That makes a lot of sense!!!

I remember one guy I liked where I'd flirt and he flirted back. After months of this he didn't make an actual move (no asking out or getting my number). So I decided to try being more upfront and he just pretended to not hear me so I let it go and took it as a sign that he wasn't interested. Surprisingly he didn't avoid me and we hugged for the first time but I felt so rejected. I don't know if he was just flirting because he felt obligated since I was interested and he didn't like me back OR if he did like me but not enough for something serious. Oh well next time I'll let the guy be more straight forward

• Straight to the point, no wishy-washy, beating around the bush nonsense. Tell me when you're interested or when you're not.

It would save so much time.

• I like not-so-subtle flirting. So I guess somewhere in between.

• Direct and straightforward no one likes that subtle shit.

• I would like direct and straightforward but with a sprinkling of subtlety.

• ok here is my question to your poll... does subtle flirting work at all?

• Direct and straight forward... saves time and effort and is ofcourse more affective

• I can enjoy both, it depends on how the game is being played ;)

• Subtle and gentle with indicators

• What do you think? I'm not sure lol

• Direct. I don't do well with hints. And even then, I probably won't believe it at first. Figure I'm being set up to be the butt of some kind of joke. Fuck my childhood.