Is it normal for guys to get pissed about you having to back out of a date?

impossiblestrumpet
I've known this guy for a while, and we've been casual friends all along, but on Friday things got a little steamy between us... nothing major, just some moderate petting. Afterwards he texted me to tell me that even though he hadn't let on before he was definitely interested in me, to which I said the feeling was mutual, and we planned a walk in the park this week. He was being very sweet. Stupid me forgot that I had a prior obligation that day that, simply put, my professor would kill me if I backed out of, and so I apologized to my guy friend and said I'd have to take a rain check, offering to meet another day. That was at noon and he's left me on read since then. Do you think he's angry with me? Because I do. And is it normal to get that upset when someone has to back out of a date? I just don't understand what transpired.
1
2