How can I convince my boyfriend that sleeping on the couch doesn't mean I hate him?

Anonymous

I live with my boyfriend and most nights we both sleep in our bed. I usually go to bed at 10 or 11 and I wake up between 7 and 9 in the morning. He usually goes to bed around 3 on the weekdays and wakes up at 11 and on weekends goes to be around 5 and wakes up in the afternoon. Usually I tell him goodnight and go to bed and he later joins me. However sometimes I fall asleep on the couch and he will wake me up when he goes to bed, and I don't like moving because I will basically wake up for good. I also sometimes choose to sleep on the couch because it's more comfortable some nights. He always gets upset about it and thinks it's because I'm mad at him or I don't love him anymore.

Sleeping on the couch every once in a while is something I've always done before I ever met him. in fact, when I lived with my mom I would sleep on the couch for weeks at a time and then switch back to my bed. Sometimes it's just more comfortable.

There's also sometimes an issue with him grinding his teeth and taking up the entire bed. If I mention this to him, he just gets down in the dumps and says it's embarrassing and he's upset the whole day about it. I know he can't control it and I'm not mad about it, I just have to sleep elsewhere so I don't become a zombie.

Is there any way I can tell him that I do love him and I just prefer the couch sometimes? I'm tired of having this argument and I don't want to sacrifice my sleep.
1
0