Guys, Is it okay for a woman to pursue a guy that she may have pushed into the friend-zone before since she already knows the attraction is mutual?

MrsBC95
I really like this guy I've been friends with for over a year now. We became close while I was going through a divorce so I kept him friend-zoned out of propriety. He's also a confirmed bachelor who likes his freedom but doesn't like being lonely. He's admitted being very attracted to me and being afraid of intimacy. He's like his own worst enemy. He's got the "bad boy, but a good man" thing going on whereas I'm more the "Good girl with an aggressive side". We're both intelligent, independent, passionate, complicated people. I think that's why we seem to connect. We snuggle sometimes and hug for minutes at a time, not letting go and as soon as things heat up, he backs off in this guarded, protective way. I get frustrated because it seems like the only woman he WON'T sleep with is the one he is most attracted to and always talking/texting... the texting often gets sexual which only adds to my frustration. So, I kept my distance for a few weeks. I miss him, though. If he thinks he hurt me, he always sincerely apologizes relatively quickly, as do I. If he thinks I'm mad, though, he keeps his distance. I don't know why. We've fought before and he can hold his own... pretty well, actually.
So, I'm thinking of sending him a point blank text that just says "I'd like to go see a movie with you again." We used to do that together. Is that a level of directness that will more than likely be well-received? Does that cover the bases of "I enjoy your company. I miss you. This is what would make me happy"? Is being direct and initiating things a good idea for me to do in this particular case (even though the guy usually does the chasing)?
5