What exactly defines a date?

Exactly what makes a outing between 2 people a date vs just hanging out? Example would be person A asks person B to do or see something fun with them a few days in advance.

713

Most Helpful Girl

• This is also what I've been wondering. I mean, I usually think that if the intention is not to see whether we would be romantically compatible, then it's not a date. But then the guys I've actually been on dates with never call them "dates". Even if they later on made a move, meaning wanting for it to go somewhere. And I have met someone to hookup with, we went out for coffee and cake first, and he called that a date when for me it wasn't, because I had no romantic intentions with him. Only sexual. So I'm just as confused. Also, during hanging out, I have had a guy friend pay for me. And on what in my mind were dates, I have paid for myself. So the paying rule doesn't hold up either.

Most Helpful Guy

• i think it´s a "date" if you make an appointment to meet a person to get to know them with the ultimate intention to get with them. if you already know them and just casually spend some time, it´s "hanging out".

so basically it comes down to the intention of evolving your relationship to a commited one. if you just want tot stay on the same level you are now, it´s hanging out. if you wanna improve, it´s dating.

• What would you say if you know the person well but haven't had the opportunity to date? As in you know the person really well but you guys have never hung out just the two of you?

• It's still to get to know them better. More in private then

What Girls Said 6

• What defines it is defining it as a date and not just hanging out. Lol.

• Does it really matter going in? What matters is whether there is mutual chemistry coming out. Hang out... enjoy their company as a person... and maybe something kicks off and maybe something doesn't. My boyfriend and I went to a concert together... completely and mutually platonically going in. And coming out... there was definite mutual interest... at which point we made a date 2 days later for Sunday. Que sera sera. What will be will be.

• I say anything can be a date as long as it's agreed beforehand that it is in fact a date. No asking a girl/guy to hang out and then saying "we went on a date". Also hanging out usually avoids romantic settings - like candle lit anything and boat ride whatever.

• I'm a student in Nigeria and currently there is a serious recession so for me a date would be hanging out with someone I have romantic intentions with and returns the interest. We could even be studying together... as long we're around each other it's a date.

No need for fancy stuff... I react to most foreign foods either way.

• it is hard to tell apart

• if u meet to know each other closer for a relationship

What Guys Said 12

• Is there romantic intent? Then it's a date.

• A 'date' is a girl and a guy doing something together. If you're not wanting to jump her bones what the hell are you doing with her anyway? Your guy friends would be a lot more fun. Don't be a beta orbiter.

• wow. aren't you just a tiiiny bit (by that I mean waaayy) too old to be using all that alpha beta bullshit and thinking the way a teenage boy would?

• @TheDevilInside No, not at all, why would you say that? Old does not mean dead. LOL
      Don't worry honey, you'll get there before you know it. :)

• If the 2 are trying get to know each other better and have romantic intention with each other. There might be the possibility of kissing or sex.

• A dictionary... couldn't help myself. I guess if you see it as a date, it's a date

• DD/MM/YYYY

• if u have feelings for each other

• The act of going out and getting to know one another with the intention of starting a relationship

• I think it's gotta be mutually understood. So saying it is a date is the best way

• The girl expecting a French kiss or more?

• When the guy pays for everything.

• 1. both have to feel comfortable with thinking it's a date or if others see it that way
    2. it's more a date if only one pays for everything

• context and intent.

Are you asking what the difference is or how to tell or how to signal whether it's a date or not?