Why does he keep showing as "online" on Whatsapp for hours straight? Is this a glitch?

Anonymous
We've only dated a month and a half and we communicate over Whatsapp. The weird thing is, is that he keeps showing up as "online" for hours straight. I didn't know you could even keep the app open that long without your phone automatically locking itself. I know if you come out of the app, your status will change to "last seen". His phone is an old iphone 5, and he can only really access Whatsapp when he's got an internet connection, as his data usually runs out. I haven't asked him about it, as that would look weird. He's not really much of a texter either, and we hang out quite a lot, his phone is usually off or it's run out of battery. Plus, he mostly uses Facebook messenger. Any ideas?
2
2