Why do guys choose ex with whom it didn't work over a potentially great thing?

Efica
Dated a guy for 4-months, great compatibility, I was totally supportive of him and he often came to me with his problems. Noticed a picture with another girl on a messaging app he doesn't really use, I guess he assumed I wouldn't see. When confronted he admitted he has been getting together and breaking up with his ex for quite a long time and doesn't really see future with her so no need to tell me or break it off with me. Supposedly he was completely single when we met, I have a reason to believe that is actually true and she resurfaced a week ago.

I said that he needs to decide between wanting to get over the ex and date others or to dedicate himself to ex and drop all the others. He never replied, which is actually an answer in itself.
Why do guys risk wasting a great prospect for a something they already know is set up to fail?
1
1