Help! Major relationship problems! What is the meaning of wanting to "take things slow"?

annabanana552
Boyfriend of almost 6 months and I were texting. At the time I’ve been out of town for a week. I had started to get the feeling that he didn’t want me to express my feelings towards him by telling him how much I love him. So eventually the conversation goes to him saying “I’m sorry babe. I know we’ve been together for a little while but I just need a little extra time to take everything in” I had no idea what he meant by that and if it made him uncomfortable when I said I love you more or something to that degree. He said “I’m fine with saying I love you back and forth, but I don't know. I’m weird like that.” I knew just doesn’t want to say it to hurt my feelings.. he has a history of not communicating well when it comes to maybe hurting my feelings like in this case. I told him I understand where he is coming from and we probably just took the situation and handled it in different ways; with me falling head over heals and him wanting to take it slower bc he might still be unsure about us. He said yes, which really hurt me because I thought we were doing great and all of the sudden he agrees that he is “unsure” about us. I asked if he meant it when he says I love you and he said “Yes I really do love you, but I just like to take things slow”. In the heat of the moment I was questioning and overanalyzing everything. I was questioning if he started to back off because I was gaining a little bit of weight or if he thought I wasn’t good enough for him. I was hurt because I feel like I love him more than he loves me. I know talking about things like this over text is really bad because of all the misunderstandings that can be taken. Our relationship is pretty serious. Like he invited me over for Thanksgiving with his family this year too, how come he does these things but wants to take it slow? What does that even mean?
1
1