How does one work things out with their partner when their partner has a super clingy mom?

Anonymous
I date this guy a few years ago, we broke up. We realized later that year neither of us had moved on and we still really missed each other. We've decided to work things out. It's been just over a year of getting to reknow each other. It's a long distance thing, so I suppose that's one reason we aren't back together. We completely act like a couple. We've even flown on a plane to visit each other. We don't get to see each other often. This year, it was only twice. I plan to see him again at Christmas as we both come from nearby towns. His mom is super clingy though. I'm devastated to learn I may only see him for one night. After that, I won't see him again for months... I understand he's moved away and his family rarely sees him. He'll be spending 2 weeks with his family. I asked about maybe seeing him twice, but he told me his mom believes he coming home to basically visit her. She won't be happy about the time I spend with him and that his family looks at it as 'you aren't dating her.' I understand that we're not dating, so I'm kind of on the 'not so important' list. But how am I supposed to get past 'working things out' if I never get the chance to see him? For all I know seeing him once might be just going out to dinner. I can't override his family wanting to see him, but is seeing him twice within the two weeks too much to ask?
1
1