How to make a online relationship/relationship between a shy girl and shy guy work?

So this guy and I have been talking on social media for about a week now, and he asked me out on a date to the mall to see a movie and get dinner. I'm really excited because I think he's really cute, but the problem is that he is super shy in real life. I'm super shy as well! My friends catch him staring at me when I'm not looking, and when we are close to each other, no one says anything so it's really awkward! For the past week, we've been talking just online and we know for a fact that the other is shy. Since I'm a year or two older than him, I feel like I should take initiative and say "hi" or take charge on our date but I'm really scared to! Even though he asked me out, I planned literally most of what we're going to do. I fear that the date will go horrible because he won't say anything the whole time, be just on his phone, and that there will be a lot of awkward silences. My question is what should I do to let him know I'm interested and how should I make our date great?

11

What Guys Said 1

• Silence is fine.
    You're all worried about the wrong things.

• If I'm worried about all the wrong things, what SHOULD I be worried about? And advice on that please?

• Don't plan anything out. Have no expectations. Don't plan for an extended time together.
      Just meet for an hour and sit together and share your thoughts and ask about what things he's interested in and what he likes. People like to talk about themselves. Turn the phones off.
      After an hour or so you'll have an idea whether you would like to meet up again. No pressure. If you do set it up. If not you can just chalk it up to experience.
      You're putting too many expectations forth and too much pressure on you both.

• Thank you so much, I really do have a problem with overthinking things! I really hope things work out between us!

What Girls Said 1

• If the spark is already there, the awkwardness will eventually go away. You are going to be just fine.