Why do you think most people aren't committed to a relationship nowdays?

Especially my generation (millenials). Was in a car ride home and my friend and the driver were talking about how girlfriends are horrible, bad company etc etc.
However girls complain that guys aren't loyal and they go from girl to girl. Its an endless loop!

Do you think guys are too lazy to keep a relationship or girls are too much of princesses?

2552

Most Helpful Guy

• Nobody goes into a relationship anticipating that they will have problems and be required to actually work to keep the relationship viable.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think people just want to get a SO like they do a shirt. They expect them to just fit with them perfectly and if they don't... well... you can have more than one shirt or return the one or whatever.

And it's alarming when that SO of yours also has THEIR own set of expectations and then neither of you are willing to budge and the other becomes demanding and rude and whatever other excuse you want to stick them with instead of owning the fact that you're about as inflexible as a telephone pole.

What Guys Said 51

• Your generation, probably, I would say yes. Mine, older, Gen X, there was something more solid, and if you were dating someone, you were WITH that one, and didn't just drop them at the sight of something that seemed better!
    Millennials are just to moment to moment, and live in THAT moment, but don't think about the past, or future, it seems. Maybe I am wrong. . .

• the current generation aren't generally committed to relationships for multiple reasons.
    1. they're not really expected to be
    2. online dating has provided infinite back up plans
    3. promiscuity has been glorified

as far as I can tell this applies to men and women.

• it all starts and ends with girls, girls nowdays are less loyal, care about looking hot and attractive attention, dating all the hot guys they can and then settling down, except that decent men date slutty women for fun but dump them for decent girls who haven't slept around and used by a lot of guys.

the fact that girls are acting in a much more muscline manner and behaving with no boundaries (nothing is off limits be it casual sex, smoking, drinking, tattooes, moving from guy to guy, using guys ) is making guys take them much less seriously as gfs and wives.

at the end of the day a girl decides to sleep with a guy, the moment girls stop having sex with plenty of guys and outside of marriage guys will change as well.

• Rise in feminism, women's rights, and demonizing of anyone with a penis. Sexual harrassment seminars, divorce rates, alimony, custody battles, all men are rapists, Robin Williams.

• Womens rights is a bad thing? Really? Yes, lets just keep women oppressed so that more men can marry -___-
      Selfish af.

• Thats not equality you speak of, its sexism against men.
      ANd you said "womens rights" in your response, implying that its a reason why relationships are in trouble nowadays. If you think demonizing anyone with a penis is bad (which it is), youlisted it in the same list as womens rights, which reason would imply that you also think its bad.

• @BuchitaBuchys Tell that to feminists. Yes because I consider them factors... whether they are good or bad is personal opinion. I believe in equality and rights. From a man's perspective, these are things we just have to deal with so the are factors to a larger equation.

• www.court-records.net/.../bratworth-shrug(d).gif

Both men and women are to blame.

With casual sex being normalised, many men see little reason to commit because they have easy access to sex. Women can't use sex as leverage anymore especially if she opened up her legs for guys without any commitment whatsoever.

A lot of girls want to treated like princesses without offering much in return. The bullshit of entitlement many women seem to believe they have just makes it worse. This will only get worse.

• It's hook up culture and people being "dead inside". Dating today is two people scared of feelings and the one cares the least controls everything. Whenever someone days "i'm dead inside" I tell them about my fellow veterans who have committed war crimes and would do it again. They shut up real fast! I remember one time, I hooked up with a girl, she did that whole "i'm dead inside spiel" and after the deed was done I put on pants and left. She asked me why, I told her "well people in relationships cuddle and you don't want one." She looked at me like I just ran over her dog and kept driving.

I wasn't doing it to be an ass, she said she didn't want a boyfriend so I wasn't gonna act like one or invest more feelings into it beyond an acquaintance level. And it was then I realized what people do today is that they are afraid to admit any kind of attraction that goes beyond physical reasons and hope that their hook up will turn into a relationship. Another thing I see is people run back to their exes, because sure the ex hurt them, but it won't be in a new way

• id do the same thing. get up and leave. they dont want it they dont want it. can't have it both ways. but thats what a lot of people do. say hey dont want anything then they to get pieces of a relationship a la carte.

• @AriadneSky As the saying goes "you can't have your cake and eat it too"

• This generation, due to a lack of leadership, has fallen short of many standards presented in the past few years. The times have changed, and nowadays sex is just a regular thing EVERYONE does, apparently. You do have the people who held on to what their old fashioned parents taught them though, so there are some good people out there.

• Because millenials are a generation that were raised to believe that they deserve and should get anything and everything on the spot. They're used to instant gratification - patience is not a virtue thought to them. Take binge watching TV shows - how many people wait until an entire season is out so that they could binge all the episodes in one sitting.
    Well that kind of mentality applies to everything they do.

• Relationships, much like anything in life, require work, commitment, and sacrifice. People today are weak, they don't have the strength that is required to put up with it. They want all the benefits of a relationship, but none of work, and in doing so, they only experience connections that are skin deep, and none of the soul that comes with it.

Also, why is half the fucking male responses here feminism?

• Guys have the same problem with women too. It's not a gender thing. I think with the hookup culture, online dating, etc has given people way too many options that it's easy for people to have the grass is greener on the other side mentality these days.

• No real commitment or feel of commitment.

• Because the only thing anyone want's to be committed to anymore is themselves. Even that, they'd rather just have someone else be committed to them so they don't have to be as much.

• Because relationships are too expensive in the current economy. It's cheaper to be single on Valentine's Day.

• I feel sorry for them, and it saddens me and only serves as a reminder of what society is turning into.

• no. see every guy or girl aren't the same. but sometimes you just get in a relationship with someone who is terribly evil.. and it changes your whole damn philosophy about relationships.. you just give up on them like you have no energy left to get hurt again lol.

• People today are too lazy to work on it. Relationships fall apart because people treat each other as a commodity, high levels of narcissism mentality and selfish nature. People have unrealistic expectations from each other these days. Relationships are build through commitment and mutual understanding.

• People have unreasonable expectations combined with easier access than ever to more people if it doesn't work out (dating sites, etc)

• I think it comes down to the culture we live in. Hooking up is glorified and one side or the other has been screwed over and in turn is jaded and assumes they're going to get screwed over again.

• Very true. Most guys love the attention they get from other guys when they hook up with multiple girls; and girls dont like that so when they do get into a relationship they will assume to get screwed over

• Their out there somewhere; just need to purge through them all before you find the right one

• feminism has turned the modern USA woman so disagreeable that even the promise of regular sex is not enough allure to put up with the new "normal" demanding, entitled, "expert in everything", powerful, giant penis, American woman.

You are equal now so you don't need men so don't worry about it

• besides the facts that social media is taking over and millennials would rather use Tinder then talk to someone's face... some women have taken radfeminism too far and it is hard for men to be in a relationship with women like that. And yes many men are players and don't deserve a truly good woman. I'm not saying all women or all men... I'm just saying it isn't just a stereotype.

• Seems like too many are going the route of friends with benefits.

• Everybody now expects instant gratification and that their mate will meet their standards instantly. So, yeah, we'll all be extinct well before the sun blows up.

• Why would you bother spending the effort, time and money on keeping a relationship when there are far better things to do with your life?

• Feminism has turned men off from women and more people realize love is not real

• Because they get instant gratification from the Internet instead.

• Girls give us sex without a commitment. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

• of course its a endless loop. I too agree that women are bad company, and they are way too much of princessess, so much prefer being single

• I don't know, I'm ugly

• well in my experience for what I've had to deal with is all the changing me into another person more than myself

• or how women shame me for who I am cause they tell me I'm not good enough to be in the league that women want me to be

• IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GET DOWN TO BRASS TAXES IT'S EITHER WOMEN'S EXPECTAIONS OR THEIR PRIVILEGE THAT'S SCREWING UP THE RELATIONSHIPS

• Women are annoying

• More from Guys
    21

What Girls Said 24

• I think it has to do with giving your all and not having it returned.

• It is all caused by insecurities in both women and men.

We kept our options open to possibilities of finding the best and might missed the chance to get a lifetime partner but yea who am I to judge people (sounds so cliche).

It is never anyone's fault. Our era has this too much of freedom regarding anything and the marriage seems not so important anymore nowadays. Long time ago, intercourse is just for married people and nowadays people even do it out of wedlock so I myself wonder what marriage is for, in this era? (Im not angry here lol). People go for serious relationship to aim something- marriage, family, sexual needs etc.

So... ? This is never ending questions.

• I"m not sure, but of my group of friends growing up,
    girl 1 is in a stable unmarried relationship, they are not living together
    girl 2 is in a stable unmarried relationship, has been divorced 2 kids
    girl 3 is single, not married not really looking I don't think
    girl 4 is married, about to have her first kid
    me, married 2 kids

of my college friends
    boy 1 is not married, single
    boy 2 is separated (was never married) had a kid with his ex
    girl 1 is single, in and out of relationships
    girl 2 is single, in and out of relationships
    girl 3 is divorced and in a stable relationship

• I have no idea, I'm committed and happy. Maybe they just don't want anything serious and want to just mess around

• Society is telling people that relationships are about others sacrificing for you and not you sacrificing yourself for them - this is why most people have high standards they don't live up to themselves.

• People are lazy and like to run from their problems instead of working through them. People don't understand that relationships require work, effort and patience. I haven't even been in one and I know that. It pains me when I see people who are in relationships and they aren't working hard enough, just complaining and wanting things to be easy all the time.

• Perhaps they don't want to put in the effort which is unfortunate for those of us who still value relationships

• They are lazy and want the easy stuff without the things that come with it, aka: Sex without commitment.

• I've always made it clear if I was with someone or not. I don't like the whole sort-dating-but-not-really thing. I also don't like that sexual exclusivity is something you need to talk about. If you're interested in someone you should just pursue that, not keep swiping on tinder.

• both are too be blamed and weird social trends are taking over ppl's brain

• Thus is why I'm still single. This generation is selfish, narcissistic, and don't want to put in the work that is an actual relationship. There is some good people out there, they are just hard to find.

• I think its like the fact that a lot of people can't handle the problems that come with relationships also and not having as much freedom

• most people that I know who have cheated seem to do it as a confidence booster. also it seems kinda like people want a bf/gf as a accessory but are willing to have side people because why have one when you can have two. this goes for girls and guys. to be honest I've seen far more girls cheat than boys.

• i dont think this is true.

• How so? Is it different where you are?

• I think it's all has to do with social media.. all these influences of shows of "are you the one", " the bachelor/bachelorette" dating shows etc. they all show that it's okay to show imitacy to more than one person without much commitment.. that's why are generation are getting into this idea that it's normal.. But don't worry there's still "old-fashion romantics" out there there just going into extinction at this point

• lack of respect and bad communication

• Too much rape dates and young people are dangerous

• nobody wants to sacrifice

• I would be

• because pornhub is the most searched thing on Google and sexting is in

• im loyal and committed in a relationship so i think it just depends on the person really x

• It takes two to tango. A person can not expect a relationship to work if only one person is trying and the other person is giving up. If a person stays in a relationship with someone who cares then they are in a relationship with themselves.

• I think a lot of it has to do with the kind of people you hang around. I honestly don't understand how people hook up outside of a relationship with a lot of different people. I'm in a relationship that is far from perfect but we both constantly work on it and it makes us better people. I've only been with one other person and I'm 24. I had a lot of bad experiences with guys in between my two with guys trying to hook up with me (and then obviously failing. Who wants someone who has been with everyone?) because they thought that it was okay because I wasn't a virgin anymore. I wasn't around a good group of people either and steer clear of that crowd now. There are a lot of good people who want real relationships but they're are a lot of shitty people too. I don't believe that guys (as a whole) aren't loyal. You are less likely to get a good one if you sleep with everyone.

• I think girls and guys are the exact same, they know when and how to get attention and know that they have the looks part down. It's not either or, they both enjoy sex and flirting and attention. There's just an entire other group that are into committed relationships that you haven't met yet or maybe don't realize who they are.