Would you ever consider dating someone if they didn't like your pets?

Getting into detail with this question.

Personally. I don't date any guy that would not accept that my pets came first before him. My most previous ex was actually very jealous. Often making very mean jokes such as saying he would "Kill" my dog or "Fight it". They were in joking sentences but of course - to people like me - a pet is family.
He also knew very well that, when I was in a deep depression and all alone - Not meeting any of my friends or him, anything else - She (My dog) was given to me and pulled me out of my depression since I no longer was focused on myself or my problems. As dogs are generally happy - outgoing - playful etc.
I also found to hate my Stepfather (And my biological) because they had a HATRED towards the family cats. We raised them all from kittens. Both absolutely hated cats. Would Kick them if they scratch, break out something to hit them. Purposely scare them off and wonder why the cats hated them so much. So every time I talk to a guy now, I pretty much ask "Do you have a cat-like cats-etc." And the ones that say No often was raise with a cat that "went bad" (Probably mistreated) or just watched videos saying that "Cats are assholes" Or never even lived with one.
Now I've raised both feral, and domestic cats. To me - They all grown up incredibly loving and nice. Even the most "meanest" one who was super honery and used her claws a lot. Didn't like strangers either. But eventually we broke her of that.

To sum it down, I wouldn't do it. But I'm trying to see if anyone is alike to this situation. As well as been in it?

Guys if you have been in this situation. Switch the genders and answer below. I'd love to hear if you had crazy exes/wife/whatever who absolutely hates your pets for some unknown reason.

Note: I already know that there are people with allergies against animals. I do know that there are pills/vaccines people take to live with them. As my Aunt is allergic to cats + dogs, but owns both.

• They wouldn't even make it past the door. NO.
  • I would look more into the reason, but still consider it to be a NO.
  • I don't own any, so I guess. YES
    Vote C
  • Humans are better companions. YES
    Vote D

1819

Most Helpful Guy

• If they hated them, no
    I'd they just didn't care for them, maybe

Most Helpful Girl

• No I wouldn't date someone who doesn't like my pets. My pets come first. Call me crazy all people want, but my pets have been there with me through so much and they won't leave me (until they pass away of course). But this other person can't guarantee they will stay through all the problems. So no, I wouldn't date someone who doesn't like my pets.

• YES YES YES. You hit right on the Bullseye here with me. My dogs have been with me through a really bad stage of depression. Like, Not forcefully. More like they would come into my room if I was upset and make sure to follow me everywhere. For a normal time, they would roam on their own. Animals are way too loyal compared to human beings. Call me crazy too.

• Animals are saints! My cats always check in on me, and even when I'm sick or hurt they are by my side. They love me and I know it! They get so sad when I have to go out for work.

It's definitely a special bond that animals have with their humans :)

• Right? Its also in reverse too. As everytime I go on Vacation/Outoftown/StaytheNight with someone else, or don't return home. My dogs go into like this really sad, and almost depressed state. I feel awful. But when I return they're like bullets. Now I own a german shepherd/husky mix, and a Full german shepherd. So Its hard to ignore their behavior.

What Guys Said 18

• I'm a pet person and I love animals. It would be a insta clash and it would probably not work as my niece just walks around with her bunny. And she is pretty much is always around me. So dating someone who doesn't like pets would not work. As I am not about to take my niece's pet away for the sake of having a girl friend.

• Not to mention she acts like her bunny so it would likely drive any non pet lover nuts. As my niece would continue to eat her carrots (which are her favorite food.) how her bunny does. So if you date me your stuck with my bunny like niece. xD. RIP.

• Haha how adorable!

• I'd imagine a lot of people would have a problem dating someone if they didn't like there pets , unless they had a really weird pet like a snake and were used to people not liking it

• Yeah. I noticed a lot of battling between the spouses over pets. When One hates them and the other is die hard attached. Now it can get a little funky if its a "unnormal" appearance such as a snake or rat, etc. I think the question still applies though if this person who hates pets will take the flaw and be more understanding.

• If they don't get along with animals, how are they going to get along with people, who are just animals that are harder to get along with?

• you will have an ugly divorce. An animal is NOT a human. For your own sake, I hope you grow out of this.

• Wouldn't get with a guy who couldn't accept it anyways. Next.

• No. I've kicked females out of my house half naked because they tried to tell me what I should do with my cat. Sorry honey, he lives here, you don't. See ya!

• me too my dude. Me too.

• @Kit_Kat88 I'm 40 ok? I don't need your approval for a damn thing I do. Take your millenial liberal snotty righteousness and stick your nose up someone else's ass.

• You don't need to respond so immaturely with insults, especially coming from a 40 year old grown man.

• I don't think i will fall in love with someone who doesn't like pets. Especially after one of my dog died recently, so it's important factor.

• I hate animals and think people's attachment to their animals is retarded

• Nope made that mistake once. My dog is way more important than some chick.

• Oh no. you didn't get rid of him/her did you?

• Npe! I still have my pup! I only dated the chick for a few dates. She came over to watch a movie. And she's like can you get your dog (said it in a bitch moody way) off the couch? Never been so turned off in my life πŸ˜‚ I'm like what you don't like dogs? She says no they are disgusting. Watched the movie and then she left. Last time I ever saw her πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Lmfao. Dude Im the same way. Brought a boyfriend over and he seemed disgusted that I let my dogs even roam in the house, and treat them like family. He actually hit one of them before and I went into a rampage. Long story short. NEVER again.

• granted they are furbabies. Im sure there is a compromise somewhere

• Nope, a girl doesn't like my pet than how could i know that she would love me?

• I don't know :P

• i dont have any pets

• ofc i respect animals but i dont like pets in home :) :) i like them ofc but i dont like in home pets :)

• couldn't date a girl that didn't like dogs, period.

• tf kind of people do you date... pets don't really bother me even if they are ugly. I don't care

• LOL Right? Its annoying. I didn't know until midway into the relationship.

• not at all

• No never. I love my cat.

• I love pets 😊

• Even if I am not dating a girl I will like to take care of her pets

What Girls Said 17

• It's not a deal breaker but obviously I'd prefer if he liked my pet and interacted with it. My boyfriend is a dog person (luckily, I looovee dogs and we both want a German Shepherd) but he still has 2 cats. I'm TERRIFIED of cats and don't really know what to do around them. I feel like they judge me a lot more than dogs do lol. But still make an effort with his cats. Mitsy is actually really cute because she dribbles (lol) and likes to come and cuddle me while he's at work. I'm not actually meant to let her on the bed all the time because she likes to dig her claws into the duvet.. But oh well.. hehehehehehehehehe... xD

I think there is usually a "somewhat" valid reason if they don't like the pet. It doesn't just stem from no where. If it's jealousy then they obviously feel a lack of attention and are expressing it the wrong way.

• I don't value pets more than people tbh.
    If they don't like my pets, there may be a good reason for that; may be they are allergic,
    I don't get too attached to animals.
    I would not date someone who is cruel to animals though/

If he is someone who just can't deal with pets/ that doesn't mean who is a bad guy, it just means that this is something we have to talk about to see if this would be a problem in the future, which if it is (example: we cannot agree on whether the pet stays or goes), then ofc it is best if we separate.

• As someone with a complete Opposite opinion. I will agree there are times when Allergies are too expensive, or much to keep up with.

It just seems rare though. For example, my sister is completely allergic to Cat DANDRUFF but not the cat itself. Yet she's perfectly fine with dogs. But why I brought this up is that, even with or without allergies there are people who can't deal with pets in general and will try to change your life to be with you - pretty much.

But I do value pets over people. Thank you for a first opinion.

• I know you are asking something that you need to ask yourself. I don't like dogs or cats, and I have a brother and a sister in law that loves their dog to pieces, I don't like him but I hope that they still treat me good but the sad thing is they treat their dog better than me or my kids or my mom for that matter which I find sad so I wouldn't like them for that fact that they call my kids and me names and my parents names and they think they are holier than thou and they are so stuck up I don't dislike their pet, I dislike them.

Now as for relationships I don't have any pets and my husband at the time didn't have any either so... we didn't have that kind of issue.

• I have pet mice and used to own rats as well, if they didn't accept these "exotic" pets or teased me about it then no. Definitely sexier to see a guy cuddle my kitten than run away from it.

• Didn't like them or treats them bad? My husband isn't a huge fan of one of my dogs but he isn't mean to him. He just doesn't go out of his way to pick him up.

• Either works. It seems like he understands your love for them. So he won't jeopardize that.

• Afraid we are ALL stuck with "family, even if only 15 years per pet
    It might be intelligent SOP to go shopping for a mate after a pet dies instead of replacing it right away to quell grief.

• Who doesn't like pets? Seriously. I wouldn't date them. I don't ask them to take care of them but hating them is a red flag for me.
    Pets are so cute and nice.

• NO. A man has to like animals or enjoy them of he is going to date me. sorry

• i'm in this situation, i have a dog but my guy doesn't like them at all, he is more a cat person than a dog person, but even though he isn't the biggest fan of my dog, he is kind to her and tries to get along with her because he knows how much i love her. so i can deal with that, if he were to be harsh towards her then it would be a problem

• I adore pets. I volunteer frequently at animal shelters and donate items. I love animals in general. They don't have like animals for me to date them, its a manner of different interests and I respect that. If they enjoy abusing pets, then thats a huge no.

• Pets are life! My place is basically a zoo at one point we had 10 rabbits, a turtle, 2 dogs, and a cat. Now we just have two rabbits, a dog, cat and turtle but thinking about getting another cat.

I'm lucky to live with people who also love animals. I couldn't date anyone who didn't have at least half the love I have for them

• I do not have any pets and I personally would not be with someone who has them. I do not cohabitate with boyfriends. So I would find out first if he has pets

• We wouldn't be compatible if they didn't like pets.

• I love animals way too much for that shit

• if they say that they want to kill your pets because they are so jealous then no but if they weren't so jealous that they would kill then then I might consider dating them

• no no and no

• Hell no.